Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2011 22:00

ST MICRO SCREEN DETECTION SENSOR ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS

I have a DDell Studio 1558, Windows 7 64-bit. Warranty expired in April. Just got this message tonight. Can anyone advise? I have no idea.

• 

16.6K Posts

July 20th, 2011 09:00

clyman,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

1. Open Device Manager > System Device, to check if you have ‘ST Micro ScreenDetection Sensor’ listed (It should be ST Micro Accelerometer.)

2. Open Control Panel > FreeFall Data Protection, if it fails or you get error message, the wrong driver could be installed.

3. Download the ST Microelectronic Driver search.dell.com/results.aspx

4. Running this will remove the existing FreeFall Data Protection application first, and then ask you to re-boot. After re-boot, the application would be re-installed.

5. Check the steps 1 and 2 to see if they’re correct.

In order to avoid the wrong update, please open the Windows Update, and right-click ‘ST Microelectronics – Other Hardware – ST Micro ScreenDetection Sensor Driver’, choose ‘hide the update’.

1 Message

November 30th, 2011 14:00

Hi, I have the same error message  but in Step 1 - I do not see ST Micro listed at all. What do I do?

14 Posts

January 21st, 2012 02:00

I also have been getting this message, Win7 Svc Pk 1 Duo cpu T6600 2.2 Ghr 64 bit system.

I can cannot locate > "FreeFall Data Protection, if it fails or you get error message, the wrong driver could be installed" in the control panel?

help would be very much appreciated.

David

1 Message

January 21st, 2012 03:00

Hi!

I have the same problem with ST (Vostro3450), but the solution doesn't work...

> 1. Open Device Manager > System Device, to check if you have ‘ST Micro ScreenDetection Sensor’ listed (It should be ST Micro Accelerometer.)

I've not seen this item on my list. Instead of that there was 'ST Micro Accelerometer'

> 2. Open Control Panel > FreeFall Data Protection, if it fails or you get error message, the wrong driver could be installed.

My FF Data Protection works properly, so... I do not understand.

> 3. Download the ST Microelectronic Driver search.dell.com/results.aspx

Even If the update is necessary I have no idea which version of ST I should install.

Thanks for help!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 25th, 2012 10:00

perkymite

What system do you have? I suggest doing a search for your notebook on drivers and downloads and see if there is a fall sensor driver available.

patrickPL

For a Vostro 3450 is suggest downloading the driver from the following link if you have not done so previously.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Please let me know if it helps.

TB

64 Posts

January 27th, 2012 06:00

Hi Terry,

How do i know if my laptop  has free fall sensor as I hv placed order for vostro 3550,Also where can i get the resource cd for the same and the finger print software as I have purchsed N-series

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 27th, 2012 07:00

Aaron Dias

You will only get a resource CD and other media if you chose to order it at time of purchase.  Otherwise you can create restore disks from the backup utility that shipped with your notebook.

TB

64 Posts

January 27th, 2012 08:00

well and how do i come to know if my laptop has a free fall sensor ?? as I have placed order for vostro 3550 N -series.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 27th, 2012 12:00

From my understanding all Vostro 3550s that ship with SATA drives will have a free fall sensor.  The free fall sensor driver may be located from the following link.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

TB

1 Message

March 8th, 2012 13:00

Hello, I've recently had my hard drive replaced (by Dell) as my last one was not working. Literally had it for about a day and I've already experienced 3 Blue Screens with the Kernal error. Please help, I've searched online and it seems like it's a harddrive error; which would be absolutely insane if true.

Cheers, Matt.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 9th, 2012 07:00

Hollo

You should be able to run basic diagnostics on the notebook.  If you are good with notebooks I suggest reseating the hard drive.  Basically shut the notebook down, disconnect the hard drive, and then reconnect it, just to make sure that there is a good connection.  After that run diagnostics, start the system holding down FN or by tapping F12 and then choosing diagnostics.  Please report back with the results.

TB

1 Message

March 17th, 2012 12:00

hi there,

just got the same message regarding ST micro screeen detection sensor being incompatible with the version of windows with which it is bundled - i am running windows 7 home premium on an inspiron 14z (n411z)

not clear to me whether i should follow same instructions as for vostro above. please advise.

thanks

k

April 14th, 2012 14:00

Hi, I am also having the same problem. I have an Alienware M17xR3. I have had problems with the laptop since I bought it last June, and Dell has just continued to throw bad solutions to me. After so many blue screen events, my hard drives failed and Dell replaced them. I reinstalled Windows 7 and now I am getting this same error. There is no ST Micro Screen Detection sensor or anything in the list.

Any advice would be helpful.

1 Message

May 4th, 2012 16:00

I have excatly the same - M17xR3 and I keep getting blue screen of death.

And this error pops up from windows solution center.

What am I to do??

1 Message

August 14th, 2012 13:00

Thank you!  Problem seems to be solved for me.

In my Device Manager I had an "Unknown Device".  After searching on Dell support site the appropriate ST Microelectronics Motion Sensor, I found the version that is compatible with my Dell Vostro.  Now there are no errors in my Device Manager.

I don't see Windows Update suggesting to update any drivers yet.  But I'll keep an eye open.

Thanks for your help.

Maor

No Events found!