Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 03:00

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! :emotion-45:

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

56 Posts

December 18th, 2009 03:00

100% agreed. I am not sure what to do when my 1747 arrives. I am not willing to wait using it cause of unknown issues.

12 Posts

December 18th, 2009 04:00

I´m a german customer too waiting for my 1747 to arrive these days. And yes there are many cases in german and also english forums where brand new 1747´s core i7 cpu´s are going dead out of sudden (7x beep). Also there is the exact same problem with that less powered A/C Adapter (90W) which is already a known problem for Dell with their studio 16 xps laptops.

Come on Dell didn´t you learn a lesson from the studio 16 xps A/C adapter issues ?

For me I hope Dell support will send me a 130W A/C Adaptor for free (I will call for that as soon my 1747 arrives) and that my new laptop will surrvive the 1st week, otherwise I will send it right away back to sender.

Don´t understand how Dell is willing of loosing that much money with changing broken CPU´s and Mainboards or having frustrated customers sending their laptops back instead of packing it with a 130W A/C right away ?

7 Posts

December 18th, 2009 04:00

Fully agree 100% as well.

Futhermore i just read some posts in the obove mentioned german forums.
It was mentioned that Dell support technicians warned 1747 customer to not us the system with the provided 90W power supply at all.

@Dell: it's time for an official statement or at least warning! Just image you get your machine in just in time for X-Mas but the i7 fries before it's new years eve.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2009 05:00

Hi!

on wednesday I received my Studio 17 i7. After unpacking I turned it on and checked out Windows 7 Pro. Yesterday - thursday - I came home from work and started my Studio 17 the second time. Display stayed black, Mediabuttons flashed and .. .. beep beep beep beep beep beep beep => 7x beeps! => checked the manual => CPU defect, contact the support.

My Studio 17 survived about 3 hours! Then the cpu died.

Of course I googled this problem and found a 80-page-thread in a german forum. Obviously it wasn't the only 1747 with a dying core i7.

Even in these 3 hours of operation I discovered a few more problems with this notebook:

1) It gets hot, really hot. The touchpad gets hot, the left side of the keyboard gets hot, the bottom gets hot. No way using this laptop on your "lap".

2) The webcam. I'm no real webcam-user but I started the webcam-app just to have a look. I didn't see my face, only my hair. In order to "move me in position" I had to watch the display from a higher angle. It wouldn't be a problem if you still could see anything on the display. So you have 2 choices when you vidphone with other people: Let them see you while you can't see them or vice versa. And that's the webcam that delayed the delivery of this notebook? It's the webcam "we all waited for"? Yippie!!

3) The keyboard isn't very solid. Press a button and you press down the whole keyboard. While typing, the keyboards wobbles like "nix on earth" (hehe, some Germanglish ^^). The keys themselves are great though.

4) The CD/DVD-drive seems to check for a disc every few minutes. Just some *crink* *crank* noise - no disc there - and then silence again.

5) No HDD-activity-LED. And as far as I remember (me@work right now) no WLAN-LED either.

6) A "Core2Solo" sticker instead of the "Core i7" sticker. No real problem, but it demonstrates how proper Dell checks the quality of their products.

7) While the notebook idles around the cooler starts and stops every 30 sec. It's not that loud, but when the notebook doesn't do anything, it shouldn't be necessary for the cooler to run every now and then.....

I will return the notebook as soon as possible. No repair, no nothing. Just give me my money back and that's it. Now I know why the Studio 17 is so cheap... Thanks for the great christmas present....

December 18th, 2009 06:00

Hi Dell,

I agree with the posts before. The Problems of the xps 16 Studios with i7 are the same like the problems with the Studio 1747 with i7 here in germany.

I changed from HP to Dell, because of the bad support from HP. I hope that Dell is much better then the HP Support.

So please find a fast solution.

regards, diverchriss

3 Posts

December 20th, 2009 13:00

I've got the same problem. My new Studio 1747 with i7 CPU delivered on friday 18.12. died today. last night i watch a hd video, today i want to start my laptop...nothing happens except the 7 peeps. On monday I'll contact the support hotline and I hope, their will solve the prob soon

10 Posts

December 21st, 2009 07:00

Dell say not use the system with the provided 90W power supply? When? Where?

Dell have to do an official declaration about the problem. At who they are waiting?

19 Posts

December 21st, 2009 07:00

I got my Studio 17 on Thursday and it died with 7 beeps on Friday.  Wasn't doing anything either.  Just needed to leave house so shut lid (didn't shutdown) and left.  Came back later and bottom of laptop was hot, powered it on and got 7 beeps.

Not having much luck with Dell tech support, they are not very clued up.  Waiting for someone to ring me back to arrange a replacement, though now thinking of getting a refund instead looking at all the reports of this problem.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2009 08:00

Hi i'm waiting for a studio1747 with i7-720. I hope in a fix of this problems

56 Posts

December 21st, 2009 11:00

Today my studio 1747 i7 died! 7x beeps after working fine for one week. I knew about the power supply problem and avoided it by using the battery but still the cpu died.

There is a poll on a german forum saying that 15-20% of the 1747 i7 laptops have a dead cpu already! Please Dell let all the users of your products know about the power supply and cpu issue. Not everyone is reading the forums!!!

Please Dell fix this problem !!!!!

That ain´t completely true. Some customers are posting right now that their 1747 has died after they voted for "my studio works very well". So the statistic must be much more worse. it´s just the tip of the iceberg in my mind.

1 Message

December 21st, 2009 11:00

Today my studio 1747 i7 died! 7x beeps after working fine for one week. I knew about the power supply problem and avoided it by using the battery but still the cpu died.

There is a poll on a german forum saying that 15-20% of the 1747 i7 laptops have a dead cpu already! Please Dell let all the users of your products know about the power supply and cpu issue. Not everyone is reading the forums!!!

Please Dell fix this problem !!!!!

12 Posts

December 21st, 2009 14:00

That ain´t completely true. Some customers are posting right now that their 1747 has died after they voted for "my studio works very well". So the statistic must be much more worse. it´s just the tip of the iceberg in my mind.

Great .. then this 1747 must be the laptop of mass destruction :emotion-42:

So how does this work here in the Dell forums? Do Dell employes read an comment on threads like this one?

2 Posts

December 21st, 2009 15:00

I've had the 7 beeps too, engineer came out and replaced the motherboard. Mine also happened when trying to bring the laptop out of standby mode. I wonder if this is common to all the people who have had the 7 beeps. Could you guys ask in the German forum?

2 Posts

December 21st, 2009 17:00

I'm trying to find a clue why some 1747s work well while the other go dead and there's one question I have: how many of those dead ones had a FullHD matrix of 19200x1080 and how many had a HD+ of 1600x900?

Another question - is 1747's smaller brother 1557 experiencing the same problem?

December 21st, 2009 18:00

I recently picked up a 1747 for my Dad as his first laptop and it lasted 2 days.  I knew nothing about the insufficient power adapter, etc.  The laptop was running fine while I was showing him a Bluray movie (on battery), setting up his apps, etc.  After I left he suspended the laptop, unplugged it, went out for a bit and when he came back it wouldn't boot up and beeped 7 times at startup. 

Interestingly enough, we ordered the 1747 with the 1920x1200 RGBLED screen, which is AMAZING.  Not sure if it is related to the power problems but if the replacement laptop dies, it's going back for good.  I'm not going to settle for the 1600x900 display.

Will a 130w adapter work with the laptop?

No Events found!