Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 03:00

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! :emotion-45:

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

18 Posts

March 4th, 2010 12:00

Im an Spanish buyer of the 1747. Today i phoned to Dell spanish technical support, and my 130W adapter is being delivered to me tomorrow or next monday.
Thanks to ALL responsibles users in this and others forums who struggle for their (our) rights. Now we must demand a new bios for this adapter.

Thanks a lot to absolutely ALL.

55 Posts

March 4th, 2010 13:00

Before I take another stab at this I have another question. Am I required to return the 90 watt power supply? If so do the send a free shipping label for it?

Thanks,

I know here in the States my 130 watt PS came with a prepaid return Label from Dell  so I could return my old 90watt  ....

3 Posts

I received my 130W adapter today (UK Dell), 24 hr after calling tech support to request it!  There was no return label, so at least in the UK, they aren't expecting you to mail back the 90W adapter.  Kudos to the tech support for UK, since they called earlier today to ensure that I received it, and also wanted to know if this resolved the 'overheating 90W adapter' issue, which it has.  The new 130W adapter is definitely much cooler than the 90W.

27 Posts

[quote user="Manco"]

Before I take another stab at this I have another question. Am I required to return the 90 watt power supply? If so do the send a free shipping label for it?

Thanks,

I know here in the States my 130 watt PS came with a prepaid return Label from Dell  so I could return my old 90watt  ....

[/quote]

Darn.... I was hoping to tack a metal plate to mine so I could cook while computing when needed

31 Posts

March 4th, 2010 15:00

I actually don't mind having 90W PSU since it's quite a bit smaller then the 130W one.  This way when I travel, I can take a smaller PSU and live without high-demanding games when portability (relative term here, I know) is more important.

6 Posts

March 4th, 2010 19:00

Hi Todd.

Thanks for chasing up Australia Tech support. They are now willing to supply a 130 power supply unit.  However, the tech guy mentioned that the 1747 is not designed for a 130 unit and that it may cause other problems with the notebook (like frying some of the components).  I was told that I am to use the 130 power unit at my own risk since Dell has not tested the 1747 with a 130 PSU.

I just want to get confirmation that if we use a 130 power supply unit, that this does not void the warranty over the 1747?  My concern is that if I use the 130 PSU and then something fries inside (like the tech guy told me) that Dell will turn around and say that the 1747 was not meant to be used with a 130 PSU and consequently Dell refuses to honour the warranty.

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2010 20:00

Use of one of the 130 watt adapters that we send out will not void your service contract.

55 Posts

March 4th, 2010 20:00

He is mistaken, Dell will honor your warranty with or without the 130watt PS, otherwise they would not send them out as replacements...The issue now is that the 1747's will not fully utilize the 130watts of power and is over working the current 90watt, once new A08 BIOS are released the problem will be resolved, but for now there is absolutely no danger of burning out your motherboard..... 

3 Posts

March 5th, 2010 00:00

Thanks to you: Todd, Bill:emotion-2:

For the matter of the hot psu, beeing resolved. Now I can let my children play around the computer while using it.

Ordered a 130w yesterday 12:00 and got it on speed delivery this morning at 08:00.:emotion-3:

Nice service.

Rasmus Mouritsen (Denmark)

8 Posts

March 5th, 2010 01:00

Well, my 1747 is being delivered in a couple of hours. Is there anything I need to check, benchmarks to be run,  right now to make sure I've not got any motherboard issues?

By the way, thanks once again to everyone here and Bill and Todd for following up issues to their resolution! 

17 Posts

March 5th, 2010 04:00

This is a question for Todd

I purchased my Dell 1747 on 19 January - had a few similar issues to what others have had and my husband called Dell UK Support after 5 days.   (Must say the service (via India) was pretty good on that one occasion).   I'm not into gaming (never will be to be honest), I still have the same BIOS the machine came with and after I downloaded the Adobe Flash 10.2 Beta version, the lock-ups and crashes I experienced on the livestreaming (main reason I bought this computer) disappeared - it now works like a dream - so far).  I do go by the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it) so haven't installed the A07 Bios and now wonder whether I should and if I do, will I need the 130w adapter because of it?  This may have been answered elsewhere - so apologies if it has,.  My concern is that if in future I do more streaming of HD stuff on the net, will I will need the A07 Bios and the more powerful adapter and ought I to be putting these things in place now rather than later.  I guess my question is will I be able to get this 130w adapter in the future if I need it?

(My husband did call UK Tech Support a day or so ago (routed to India of course) and they knew nothing about the 130W adapter).

I'd like to add my thanks to Dell and Todd because without him trying to keep us informed of what was going on - my 1747 would have already been returned to the store where I bought it.  I've just hung on to save the inconvenience of having to choose another model (it took me 2 months to decide on the 1747!). 

I did the same yesterday, called Tech Support NL but it took me almost half an hour before the guy was convinced there was no other option but sending me the 130W adapter. Asked me if I was at bios A07 (which I am) but apparently didn't believe me because he took over my pc (ok I let him do that...) and tried to re-install A07.

So i am happy with the result, but have my doubts about the way I got there.

And now something completely different: a friend showed his brand new Inspiron 17" and it struck me that it felt much more solid than my much more expensive studio. Especially the keyboard felt solid and I couln't move the frames around keyboard and monitor, which feel pretty unstable on my studio. And the inspiron even had a light for hdd activity and built-in blue-tooth, Display is identical (1600x900) but sound of studio is much, much better. Overall I am wondering what justifies the price difference. Had I known this I would have bought the inspiron instead, although I have to say I still like my studio so no regrets here.

22 Posts

Today I talked with manager for the second time, and he still claims that Polish Dell Support didn't receive any information about adapter replacement. I told him to talk with you Todd but he said that they will check the Dell Community, not that he will write PM to you, just check the forum. They still claims that nobody in Europe gets new adapter. He couldn't answer when I asked him why technical support in Poland is not working as Dell global says. Yesterday their technician said that only users with Dock Station gets 130W adapter and today manager said that dock and computer are two different things. They even don't have common version of what should they say when users report problem like this.

1 Message

I called Dell in The Netherlands yesterday and just got my new 130 W adapter 15 minutes ago. The guy on the phone told me that he saw an email about this going round and didn't hessitate to send out the new adapter, 2 minute phonecall at most was all it took..

9 Posts

March 5th, 2010 05:00

This is the message I received today by mail form the Polish Dell Support:

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4   Witam

Wbrew powszechnym pogloskom nie wymieniamy tych zasilaczy.

Nalezy czekac na nowa wersje BIOS, ktora poprawi usterkę gdyz zasilacz 130 W naprawdę nie pomaga. (transl: Contrary to the rumors, we do not exchange the PS's. You should wait for the new version of BIOS which will fix the fault)

[collapse]Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Error Message

Problem Description:

Adapter 90W przegrzewa sie, przy dluzszej pracy laptopa staje sie niebezpiecznie goracy (transl: the 90W adaptor is overheating; it gets dangerously hot while the laptop has worked for a longer time)

Troubleshooting:

Wg informacji pracownika Dell (Dell-Todd S) zamieszczonej na forum Dell Community (np.http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19310587.aspx?PageIndex=95), wewnetrzna instrukcja KB zaleca wymiane zasilaczy na 130 W (transl: According to the Dell assistant - here follows the link to the Dell Community page with Todd's posts - the internal KB instruction recommends the exchange of the PS's into 130 W)

The reference number of my problem is: 2F5Q7R1C1YS34FGH

[/collapse]
No Events found!