Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2014 23:00

Same problem with all 3 of my XP machines 2 Dimension C-521 and a Inspiron E1505

Trying to run the Dell System Detect App. It Downloads but will not Install. I get the  "... Dell System Detect.exe is not a Valid WIN32 Application". Running XP with SP3 on all machines. Never had this trouble before. Have ran it in the Past for Updates with NP. Hope somebody addresses this issue.

I have MY Dell installed on 2 of those machines. No help there... Still won't get past the Detect Issue.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2014 23:00

...Meant to post this to the Post that was already started on this subject... Dell System Detect.exe is not a valid win32 app.....

My Bad

March 12th, 2014 13:00

Did you find the other post? So far my searches on dell's website have only turned up this one and I have the exact same problem.

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 19:00

I too have the same problem. Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

March 19th, 2014 12:00

Here is your answer to the problem.

My Dell, previously called Dell Support Center, provides automated technical support, which makes solving and preventing problems easier than ever. This easy-to-use application gives you access to everything you need to take the guesswork out of owning and maintaining your device.

Download My Dell

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/support-center

Dell support just <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>  and always has; even when they have an answer or fix for an issue, the people you are in contact with never know it! Left hand, right hand problem!

March 19th, 2014 12:00

Sorry, ranted and forgot to mention that the new "My Dell" will uninstall the old "Dell Support Center", so no issues there.

January 19th, 2015 04:00

This is likely just a generic response your machines are generating as a result of not being able to instantiate the application.  Developers put these response codes in their applications to assist with troubleshooting, and sometimes the messages don't align particularly well with the particular error.  In this case, your computers are telling you they can't run the app, which is what's going on here. 

The Dell System detect application was written for machines running Windows 7 and above.  On Windows XP machines, the results tend to vary, depending on the state of the machines updates and particular components and drivers that are installed.  If it doesn't see what it's looking for it will return at least two error messages that I'm aware of.  On the other hand, if your XP SP3 machine has the right files and components installed, Dell System Detect will install and run properly, though it wasn't designed for XP specifically.  

I have XP SP3 on a GX280 fully updated, and cannot run Dell System Detect on it at all. The message returned on this machine is "Application Cannot Be Started. Contact The Application Vendor".  I've installed XP SP3 on Dell 755's and it installs and runs properly, installing chipset drivers and identifying specific components needed by the machine to run properly.  So, it depends on a number of things, but it's not an app that was meant to be run on XP machines (you want My Dell for XP machines - see link above). If it works on an XP machine, consider it your good furtune, but if it doesn't and it gets heartburn, it may ask for the tTums, or the Rolaids, or some Malox... in any case, it will let you know it's not liking the box you're trying to get it to run in, and it will not cooperate with you no matter what you do.

Back to the manual search, component identification, and manual installation method used since the beginning of the home computing revolution.

Here's a link to another post explaining Dell System Detect was designed for Windows 7 and above, though I have gotten it to run on some XP machines I've built, as I mentioned, though it adamantly objects to running on others. .   .  

No Events found!