Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 27th, 2010 01:00

Screen Randomly Goes Black

So this problem started a month or so ago where my computer will randomly go black no matter what i'm doing. Whether it be games, watching videos or just browsing the internet. When the screen goes black it just goes black and nothing dies. i can hear the music or the video continuing even though the screen in dead

I've had the computer about a year now and it has been working fine until now. Its an M17x. i reformatted twice and even had a friend who works to fix laptops look at it and he couldnt fix it.  

M17x

Running Windows 7 64-bit

nVidia GeForce GTX 260M x 2

intel core 2 duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz

if you need more info let me know and i will get it to you, but any help will be appreciated because this is bugging me.

thanks

3 Posts

February 28th, 2011 02:00

Hey,

I had exactly the same problem after a reinstall.

I searched forums for hours. No idea if you figured it out or not.

Basically it was the graphics card drivers. Even though I had uninstalled/reinstalled them dozens of times, I hadn't done it in safe mode.

If you still have the problem, use msconfig to start up in safe mode. Uninstall the video card/s. reset. Use dcpro or similar and delete any ATI files remaining. restart. install the latest driver ONLY. Don't install the control station, or any of the other files. Two I think were already ticked and mandatory, but the audio and the video options and the communications option - dont tick them. Just the driver.

After I did this, it worked perfectly. Hope this helps. Or at least helps others who go searching.

mick

No Events found!