Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2012 22:00

Several Issues With Cursor and Touchpad on Inspiron N5050

The issues I have are as follows:

1. The cursor jumps to other text when typing so I have to delete and redo.
  2. My cursor often "freezes" and the pointer splits into 3 pieces (I hope that makes sense)
  3. The screen will scroll up when typing

I have done a virus scan with zero results and I have also downloaded drivers for the mousepad and bios. None of these have fixed my problem. Please help!

3.8K Posts

August 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Try uninstalling the existing touchpad driver and reinstall it. To uninstall, click on start, right click on Alps Touchpad and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm. Once removed do not restart your computer, click on the below link to download and install the Touchpad driver, and then restart your computer.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15-intel-n5050

After restarting the computer, click on start, control panel, mouse, click on the Touchpad Image to bring up the touchpad properties, Under Touchpad, Sensitivity, Turn on TouchGuard or adjust the sensitivity.

Thank you.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hello,

The issue with my Inspiron is that it does not detect any touchpad at all. I just received mine on the 31st of August and while going through the initial setup steps the mouse icon stayed on the right corner of the screen so I had to use an external usb mouse to go through the initial setup steps. Then after completing the setup stage, the touch pad still did not work. I had gone to the device manager and did not see any touch pad icon. went to download the drivers from the dell web site and installed it, but there was not success. I am suspecting that the touchpad is probably not connected to the main board of the laptop.

Should I return the laptop for another one?  or are there any other alternative to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Toks56

7 Posts

December 19th, 2012 08:00

I tried this but the uninstall tap is not highlighted so i cannot click on it??

7 Posts

December 19th, 2012 08:00

i tried this but the uninstall tab is not highlighted so i cannot click on it. I've aslo contected Dell service and they updated the driner but i still have the problems. Just typing this reply the cursor jumped twice so I have to delete and redo..so aggrevating...

7 Posts

December 20th, 2012 07:00

I continue to have the same problem...the cursor jumps as I type and Icannot get a sentance typed before I have to delete and redo..can anyone help me??

March 23rd, 2013 11:00

I believe this is a design defect in Dell laptops. My new Inspiron 5521 has the same issues. One thing that helps is to turn off 'Tap to click'. However, this does not stop the scrolling problem and the cursor will still jump, but not as much.

I have spent several hours with Dell support trying to solve this problem. (Please note that my old Inspiron that I purchased in 2003 did not have this problem.)

I am planning to return the laptop for a refund because of this defect.

March 23rd, 2013 11:00

There is something else you can do: 'Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse is present.' This is a hack, but it works.

No Events found!