Highlighted
rick sc
Copper

SigmaTel audio drivers for Windows 7

Why hasn't Dell gotten new audio drivers from IDT (the new owners of SigmaTel) and posted them on the Dell download site?  IDT requires that new drivers are only available through the retailer.  How long do we have to wait before the microphone and speakers will behave properly in Windows 7?  Is it too much to ask that a computer that is 6 month old can be updated to the latest operating system with workable drivers?

0 Kudos
108 Replies
sqrach
Silver

Re: SigmaTel audio drivers for Windows 7

You're speaking for me too.

Some people might not even realize it yet but you're speaking for them too

I asked about it and was ignored.  I'm not sure if you're having the same problems as I am having

but maybe we should just try to hype up this post and see if it gets some results.

0 Kudos
Th.R.
Bronze

I can only agree!

I have a Precision M6300 laptop and find it in general pretty poor that there are no Windows 7 drivers for it. The Precision M6300 is not that old and as professional model it should get longer supported with drivers. Especially with drivers for  Windows 7 since many who stayed away from Vista are now going from XP to 7. 

0 Kudos
sqrach
Silver

You can get IDT drivers from intel but they don't seem to work.

You have to uninstall the sigmatel driver which is sometimes difficult to reinstall

The IDT drivers still won't install so it's not worth it but for some reason I'll probably try again

I tried it a few days ago.  I've tried so many drivers and other things with no luck yet.

They just need to update this sigmatel driver properly.  They should have had it prepared before 7 came out especially since the RTM was out way before.

0 Kudos
sqrach
Silver

so

sigmatel drivers for windows 7?

0 Kudos
-wayner-
Bronze

Yup, looks like i'm also suffering with this issue. have been searching hard for the resolution as Win 7 action centre keep telling me i have an issue with Sigmatel driver, but nothing available that i can see.

Is it likely we will get an update to this any time soon?

0 Kudos
sqrach
Silver

Some software will not work completely and that is annoying

but the biggest problem for me is 130ms of latency

Some of the windows support on their forums did not believe me and the support by email did not understand me so I made a video to show it and so if they doubted my set up I did the same test with xp.  The problem comes up at the end around 1min

I used little clicks so I could measure the gaps better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrcRagtAvM

0 Kudos
Zolland
Bronze

When I went to upgrade to Windows 7, I ran the Windows 7 Compatibility test and nothing came up about my sound having issues. Now, after the installation, I have no sound. I've gone through a TON of audio drivers to no avail.I've tried drivers for XP, Vista, Win7, Sigmatel, Legacy, Realtek, etc.  Nothing works.  I'm extremely disappointed in Dell's push to make me buy a new sound card when they could easily address this issue.

Sigmatel C-Major for the Dell Latitude D810 laptop.

0 Kudos
sqrach
Silver

I want to keep this post alive

I also ran the windows 7 compatibility test.  The only thing it said was my display driver or graphics card would not be able to handle the Aero things.  I modified the driver before I installed it so that was never a problem.

Unfortunately I never checked the dell site which shows a short list of models that are compatible with windows 7.  I just saw this.  I'm really curious why mine was not listed, since my computer has a "windows vista compatible" sticker which is basically 7.

None the less, Everything does work fine, including the audio....with the minor yet for me major issue with latency. 

An updated driver for windows 7.  Why is that so hard.  Obviously they're not going to persuade me to buy another dell with this operation.  I'm not going to pay 100+ dollars to reinstate my warranty just to ask them this question.  I did download an application from cnet that opens and edits drivers.  My doubtful option at this point would be learning how to edit the driver myself........ yeah, i don't think so.

0 Kudos
euro888
Bronze

Has anyone heard of Dell releasing these drivers yet?  I guess I'm lucky in that my XPS M1330 speaker system seems to work ok...  It's just when I plug in a headset to make Skype class that the sound drivers seems to die.

This problem is new since I upgraded to Win 7 last week.  Why to I get a feeling that Dell support would tell me my warranty is now invalid after my update to Win 7?

If anyone hears of any updated drivers from Dell, please post the info here.

Best regards...

RJ

0 Kudos