I recently upgraded (?) my Inspiron 6400 to Win7. Although I now regret doing it, I need to sort it out as I cannot go back to Vista. Is there a Sigmatel audio driver for Win7? Dell does not offer a driver. I visited the manufacturer's site and they do not offer OEM support.
The Vista driver, on the Dell downloads, should work for Win 7. I've upgraded several different PC's, a laptop of my own and several client's PC's and the Vista drivers, including sound, worked for all of these. Win 7 is basically Vista "Improved".
What indication or error are you getting? Have you tried installing the Dell driver?
I am not a Dell Employee
Dell forum member since 2002
Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop
Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU
Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.
Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.
I'm not sure if they're compatible but I'm running Windows 7 on my Inspiron 9300 and her's my info:
R99254 dell windows 7 sigmatel c-major audio driver:
Title : AudioIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97 Driver
Version : A03
OEM Name : SIGMATEL
OEM Ver : 184.108.40.20655
Computers : Inspiron - 6000, 9300, 9200, 2200, 1200, XPS Gen 2;
Latitude - D610, D810, 110L, D510, D410, X1;
Precision - M20, M70;
XPS - MXG051
Oses : Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 3.x Pro-SBE, Windows Vista 32-bit Business, Windows Vista 32-bit Home Basic, Windows Vista 32-bit Home PremiumWindows Vista 32-bit UltimateWindows XP Home EditionWindows XP Professional
Languages : Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese-S, Chinese-T, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
Created : Tue Jan 23 13:52:44 CST 2007
Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
1. decompresses (email me at for the new driver )
2. to open your system first, in the window directory entered c:\Windows\system32\Driverstore\FileRepository to find the folder wdmaudio.inf_x86_neutral_aed2a4456700dfde
3. a right click to obtains the administrator property rights of the folder (wdmaudio.inf_x86_neutral_aed2a4456700dfde)
4. open (wdmaudio.inf_x86_neutral_aed2a4456700dfde) the folder to delete all files.
5. returns to the folder which you just decompressed
6. Copy all 7 files of new driver to folder "wdmaudio.inf_x86_neutral_aed2a4456700dfde"
7. re-installs the sound card
Any question, email me
Hello, this same problem that exists when upgrading from XP to Vista. Dell already has posted a solution to this, with a suitable update here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=284A36D51B8B897AE040A68F5B285AE4&l=en&s=gen#2