Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

4 Posts

October 21st, 2008 00:00

Solid State Disk (SSD) Upgrade for XPS M1710

Hi everyone, this is my first post ever so please help me :smileywink:

I own a XPS Laptop M1710 and now I want to upgrade the HDD to SSD. I plan to purchase either one of the SSD from newegg, but not sure if it worths for upgrading... I do not know about the interface of the M1710 model but I believe it is SATA I or SATA 1.5 Gbps. Here are the SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609348

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208432

So, please advice me on which one works best for my XPS model. Is it going to improve alot or just stay with my 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Thank You Very Much!!

Tommy

October 21st, 2008 01:00

Message Edited by XPSM1530_owner on 10-22-2008 12:55 AM

4 Posts

October 21st, 2008 21:00

Thanks for replying, but your response does not help me at all.... I just want to know if upgrading to SSD would improve my laptop performance. I do not use it for storage though. If it improves, by how fast? Thanks!

4.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 03:00

If you mean will your laptop be noticeably faster generally - no... it won't.

At least that appears to be the general consensus of the reviews I've read of various SSD?

Any minimal performance gain you might see, doesn't justify the cost difference between a standard hard drive and a SSD.

October 22nd, 2008 05:00

You didn't ask if it would improve performance in your original post - you asked what would work best.

Two different questions.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 05:00

Thanks TheRealFire,

So it is not worth upgrading it to SSD because the performance is about the same as I use my 7200RPM HDD. I just stay with it then. Thanks!!

137 Posts

October 24th, 2008 12:00

To be honest, both the drives you have mentioned are based on first generation technology. Yes they will improve basic performance such as boot up and application launch times however you will notice system slow down when opening zipped files or copying alot of small files from one place to another (i.e applications that create lots of temporary files when in use). You would be better off holding out for the Intel X25M or OCZ Core Series 2 (built by samsung). Even with these drives you need to either have XP SP3 installed or Vista SP1 (Vista pre SP1 is not recommended for SSD's). If you have Vista SP1 then you will need to disable auto defrag and some of the advanced search options to ensure that the disc is not worked too hard.

Assuming you have this then you will notice a nice quick laptop that will be quieter and cooler than most hard driver alternatices. There are still some exceptions but nothing too major for everyday computing.

Whilst the current Dell XPS motherboards have SATA 1 interfaces, SATA 2 drives are all backward compatible so will happily work in your lappy.

Stay away from the early SSD drives as these will not be all they make out. Have a search around these and other notebook forums as there is plenty of SSD info out there. 

4 Posts

October 24th, 2008 18:00

Thanks smjohns, very good answer and very details....

146 Posts

October 24th, 2008 21:00

I agree ssd is a great idea and excelent move but it need to mature slighly and be more mainstream cof CHEAPER and at least 200GB at a price I wont have to sell my unborn children to get one.
No Events found!