Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 26th, 2008 09:00

Sound Error on Dell B130

I recently formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows XP (not from the Dell boot disk though) and I have been installing all of my drivers but I still don't have my sound.  When I attempt to open any sound file or application I receive an error message saying that "the sound device is not installed."  I am unable to use things such as windows media player and even sound recorder and volume control. When I search for hardware it doesn't find anything but my sound worked perfectly prior to reloading my machine and in addition the volume control is not shown at the bottom of the screen which I assume is because the sound driver is not installed?  I am not positive about which sound card I have.  Any thoughts on how to get my sound back?

2 Posts

November 29th, 2008 14:00

Thanks for the input, I was able to fix it.  I did have a PCI Device with a question mark but my computer was unable to recognize it.  I was finally able to get it to recognize it when I disabled it.  Once it was disable and I was able to find what its name was, I was then able to search for the proper driver and install it. Problem solved.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 19:00

These instructions are for a situation where an operating system has already been reinstalled and everything works except the audio driver will not install ... usually you get an error message, because the NSS and chipset drivers were not installed correctly and the audio chip on the motherboard is not recognized. In this situation "usually" a fresh install of the OS is not required, just re-installing the NSS and chipset correctly. If that doesn't work then a full reinstallation may be necessary.

After you have performed an Operating System re-installation, install the audio driver following this order of installation:

a. Install Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.
(Models with AMD cpu use the AMD processor driver.)

c. Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category).

Get these from the B130 driver downloads page. When you get on the page use the dropdown box to select your Operating System.

Rarely there will still be a problem with the installation at this point (in XP). In those cases follow this tip from forum member rpilT2005: check in the Device Manager for a "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark next to it, under the "System Devices" grouping. Hit 'update driver' on that one, and it should find the driver.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2009 08:00

RyanDe,

I have the same problem you had, can anyone tell me where the PCI Device driver is located?

Jwsimm48

1 Message

May 29th, 2011 16:00

II

No Events found!