Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2015 08:00

Sound Playback USB Audio out option not there - Dell XPS 15

Hi

I wanted to use the option of USB out for better digital sound. When I go to the sound > Playback I see only one option of Realtek High Def audio. Even the HDMI digital output is not seen.

Can anyone advice how I can load the USB audio option out. I have checked all hidden devices in the device manager under sound and cannot see this option

Running windows 8.1 

Thanks for your help

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 18th, 2015 20:00

a power dynamics Mixer

Without knowing the model of the mixer it is hard to say, but if it is a model like the PDM L405 it won't work. That model and others like it are analog mixers. The laptop is not going to see that mixer as a usb audio device. The mixer has an ancillary usb port for the purpose of playing music from a flash drive type of mp3 player, but that port is not meant to be a connection to a computer.

When I connect HDMI to the TV it connects directly and there is no option shown up and the TV screen is mirrored on the TV

Sorry but I have put everything I know about HDMI audio into the FAQ. If the instructions in the FAQ about cables, ports, drivers and connection steps are carefully followed but you still don't get audio, I can't think of anything else you can do.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 18th, 2015 06:00

Can anyone advice how I can load the USB audio option out.

Hello. Have you connected a usb audio device to the laptop? After you connect it then usb audio should appear in the list of playback devices in the Sound properties. Most usb audio devices are plug & play (they use the Windows native usb audio driver) but if your device came with a driver then that driver should be installed.

If you need more help please supply the full model name of the laptop and the model of your usb audio device. The XPS 15 models are:

L501x, L502x, L521x, 9530, 9550

Even the HDMI digital output is not seen.

See the HDMI Audio FAQ for connection instructions. If HDMI does not appear in the list of playback devices after the tv has been connected and both the tv and laptop powered up, right click in the white area of the playback device list (to open the context menu) and look under "Show Disconnected Devices" or "Show Disabled Devices" and see if it is there. If still no luck see the section on Post Connection Problems.

October 18th, 2015 13:00

Sincerely appreciate your reply JIMCO

I connected the laptop with a power dynamics Mixer USB line in there was no option window popping up.

When I connected the headphone into the mixer I get the Pop Up window of how it will be connected as (headphone, speaker, headset etc) . Really need hep with this. How and where can I find this driver if I do have to install.

My XPS Model is 9530 

When I connect HDMI to the TV it connects directly and there is no option shown up and the TV screen is mirrored on the TV

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I couldn't help with the HDMI audio issue.

October 22nd, 2015 13:00

Jim you were spoton  with your view.  Mixer with USB player dont accept USB input from laptops and is for playing only from USB stick. I Changed the mixer to behringer X1222USB which has a dedicated input for USB. Once I connected the laptop to this mmixer it automatically loaded the USB audio codec and started showing this option in playback option. Now I can play the digital sound to the speakers via the mixer through the USB port and it sounds better than the analog stereo line out via the headphone.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

No Events found!