Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

2 Posts

October 8th, 2008 06:00

Sound automatically mutes and unmutes - Dell Studio 1535

Hi Guys,

My dell studio 1535 was delivered to me yesterday and I am facing a problem. The problem is it mutes and unmutes the sound automatically and repeatedly. It is like I am using the 'MUTE' touch button repeatedly. It even shows the volume bar on the screen indicating the muting and unmuting operation. When I switch on the notebook the LEDs of all touch buttons light up (I guess for verification) but the mute button keeps blinking from that point on. Sometimes the Play/Pause touch screen buttons also don't work.

Could anyone suggest what could be wrong and what should I do? I have already emailed the problem to Dell customer care and am waiting for their response.

Thanks,

Manoj

2 Posts

October 12th, 2008 08:00

Hi Guys,

I also have completely the same problem as yours. I just got my Dell 01 week ago and tried to fix this problem by different ways, but it is not possible. Please help me if you or other members have solution. Many thanks.

Dadowin

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 13th, 2008 11:00

I don't have an answer and that is why I have not replied. I think what I would do -- because the computers seemed to have been delivered with the problem -- is to use Factory Image Restore to get the computers back to the exact configuration they were in when shipped from Dell. If you still have the problem after that contact tech support and/or consider returning them -- you have a 21 day period from the date on the invoice.

My thinking is this: by using Factory Image Restore you will eliminate any possibility that this is a software error that develped after you started using the computers. It would mean they were shipped with the problem and that is Dell's responsibility to either fix, replace the computers, or refund, but only if you act within the 21 day period. After that you may own the problem (unless it is a hardware problem in which case it will be covered by the warranty).

Jim

Dell's Factory Image Restore is an image of your original operating system, drivers, applications and configuration settings in a hidden partition on the hard drive. It's similar to a normal reformat in that you have to save all of your personal data to removable media, but whatever was working when you got the computer will work after Factory Image Restore, except for any hardware problems.

1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts, press F8 until the Advanced Boot Options
menu appears.
3. Press to select "Repair Your Computer" and then press .
4. Specify the language and then click Next.
5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8. Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory
condition checkbox.
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the
computer.

Anything that doesn't work afterwards either wasn't working when the computer was shipped or is the result of hardware malfunction. For that reason Factory Image Restore can serve as an excellent diagnostic tool.

2 Posts

October 13th, 2008 12:00

Thanks a lot jimco. I will try out your solution and check if it works for me.

2 Posts

October 13th, 2008 12:00

Dear Jimco,

Thanks for your reply. This is an error adhered in the original computer as the first time I received and opened. I just believed that there is a button to turn on/off the speakers as other computers I have used, but it is not right with Dell. I will try to follow your advice once and contact the company again if it is not fixed. Once again, many thanks for your reply to remind me about the deadline of returning problem. 

Best regards,

Dadowin

No Events found!