fan was replaced under warranty.  This
did not fix the problem.

The service tech suggested it was something running on my
system. I have run systems mechanic, systematically removed and replaced
drivers / software, turned off antivirus software, run defrag and chkdsk,
removed all but necessary software. Researched similar problems on internet – I
suspect a latency problem and have run latencymon and DPC latency detector both
indicate a latency problem.  I have
removed all non-Microsoft services with clean boot.  Set Minimum and Maximum processor states to 100%. Note using DPC latency
detector the sound cuts out seem the be in synch with spikes in latency.

By the way I have tried to contact dell – as the problem was
not fixed and had no success contacting Dell. 
I spent most of the day Friday and this morning getting transferred.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 6th, 2012 12:00

Hello. Probably just me but I can't grasp part of your description.

I disconnected the
sound blaster using the head phone jack and now the sound does not cut out but
it was replaced with static.

There is a brand of external sound cards named "SoundBlaster" but of course they don't connect at the headphone jack, so does your term "sound blaster" refer perhaps to a set of external speakers? When you disconnected the external speakers by removing the plug from the headphone jack then you heard static on the internal speakers? Could you hear any audio too or only the static?

When you had the external speakers plugged in and the audio cut out, was it like a glitch/stutter kind of thing or was there dead silence during the cut out? If the latter that is unlike any software issue I am aware of including excessive DPC latency.

You mention Windows 7 in the tags field. Is that your operating system?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 6th, 2012 16:00

Thanks, now i get it.

Okay this might not be it but could be worth a try. There is a problem of noise on the Inspiron 1545 & 1750 models with Windows 7. The problem was caused by an optional (non-critical) Microsoft update in  June 2011 of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager utility. The update was either corrupted or poorly written. The solution is to download & install the most recent version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology directly from Intel -- not from Dell or through Windows updates. I'll put in several links because sometimes one works and sometimes the other -- I think Intel is dropping a cookie that prevents multiple returns the same way each time.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm
or
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20624&ProdId=2101&lang=eng

If you see a link named "Download Drivers and Software" then click that. On the next page, scroll down and select "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" dated 11/11/2011, version 10.8.0.1003.

Or if you are diverted to a section named "Intel Rapid Storage Technology -- Latest Downloads" click on "Intel Rapid Storage Technology -- Fri 11 Nov 2011".

In either case you will go to a page with 2 versions available for downloading. They are the same except that the 1st  is for English and the 2nd is for non-English operating systems.

August 6th, 2012 14:00

Jimco Thanks for the fast reply; I hope I can clear up a few things.

The sound blaster X-FI wireless transmitter is a creative USB device in which has a jack that I connected the headphone.  When I use that device the sound cuts out (probably less than a second) at random times 30 seconds to may be 2 minutes. I have not reconnected the sound blaster since I started debugging a couple of months ago; I as I recall it was dead silence.  

When I remove the USB device including software and drivers and attach headphone to jack on the front of the Inspiron I get a distorted (As you described a glitch) sound for about the same length of time as the sound cut out at about the same random times. Note: I have the same problem using CD player, Silverjuke, Windows media player, etc.  Now that the sound blaster is unplugged, it is an obnoxious glitch in the sound.

If I use the speakers that are internal to the laptop, I notice the same glitch.

The only static is the glitch at random times, other than that it the sound as I would expect.

Also I this is a new problem, that is I have only heard the problem recently.

Yes I am using windows 7, 64 bit.

August 7th, 2012 08:00

Jim,

You may not be a rock star but my computer is rocking because of you. Not only are the cut out gone, the music sound is much stronger!!!!

Thank

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2012 10:00

I'm glad that was the problem because if it wasn't there are lots of causes for excessive DPC latency and it can be hard to find the exact one.

On a different note, this issue is in its 2nd year now. You'd think it would be fixed by now.

August 7th, 2012 11:00

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1640 purchased 2/2/009 running on Windows Vista.  I am now having trouble with the sound skipping also.  Do you know if this fix will work for my Dell?  I'd welcome any ideas.. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2012 13:00

my49packard -- The primary models affected were Inspirons 1545 and 1750. The year before a similar thing with the Latitude E series and Intel Rapid Storage. Some people with other models tried the update and it helped, but many others tried and no help. If it doesn't work for you I'll try to think of something else -- don't have time this moment. Lots of reasons for glitching.

August 7th, 2012 14:00

Ok, we downloaded it but since we are new at these kind of problems we are not sure what to do next.  It downloaded but nothing opened or happened.

What are we missing?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2012 15:00

I am not sure if it applies to your model at all, so what I would do is

> Make a System Restore point.

> Double-click the downloaded file to launch the installation. If it won't install then it doesn't apply to your system.

> If it installs but does not fix the problem, uninstall it.

> If it seems to cause a problem  use the Restore Point.

No Events found!