Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2011 05:00

Sound goes on and Off Randomly

Okay so I am not that technical. But I have a Dell Laptop studio XPS 64 running windows vista. So this has been going on for a while. My sound keeps going on and off randomly. I can see it go back and forth really fast on my little sound icon on the bottom right of my screen by my time. It will do this for like 30 min and then suddenly stop (time for when it stops differs). I have been looking everywhere on how to fix this but have not come up with anything. So id appreciate any advice or any knowledge on how to get rid of it.

Also, the little easy to acess icon that i can press right above my keyboard flashes as well when the sound goes on and off.

Thanks,

Manuel Hurtado

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 31st, 2011 05:00

Manuel,

I don't understand which model you have. The Studio XPS models are 1340, 1640, 1645, & 1647. Is it one of those?

I would suggest that you re-install the audio driver as per section 1 of The Audio Driver Facts FAQ. If that does not help then download and install a fresh copy of the driver (section 3). If none of that helps then consider getting in touch with Dell technical support.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2013 13:00

I have same problem with my n4050 recently it happened my laptop sound goes off and on automatically

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2013 07:00

I have same problem

Hello. The original poster (Manuel Hurtado) wrote that his sound goes on & off "really fast" for about 30 minutes. Your laptop does that too?

At the moment the only suggestions I have concern the audio driver.

> Re-install your IDT audio driver from the Inspiron N4050 download page after first selecting your operating system in the drop down menu.

> Remove the IDT audio driver and let Windows install its own native audio driver. If doing this fixes the problem then the problem is being caused by the IDT driver. If doing this does not fix the problem then the problem is being caused either by Windows or a hardware malfunction. Note that the native driver is basic and won't work as good as the IDT driver, so using it is not a permanent fix.

To install the native driver in Win 7 (the path might be different in 8):

Go to Start>Control Panel. In the upper right corner select "View by category". Select "Uninstall a Program". Find the IDT audio driver then right click on it and uninstall it. When you reboot the computer Windows will install its native audio driver. Check that it is installed by going to the Sounds properties. If it says "High Definition Audio Device" on any of the tabs then it is the native driver. If it says "IDT High Definition Audio Codec" then it is still an IDT driver, so repeat the procedure. (Windows will keep installing IDT drivers until all that have been downloaded are removed.)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2013 07:00

Another thing, when the sound goes off, does it go off just in the speakers or also in headphones? If the sound suddenly quits working through the speakers but it is still working okay when you plug in headphones, then there is a hardware failure.

No Events found!