Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2013 19:00

Speakers Are not Working But Headphones Are

Hello

Just until yesterday the speakers were working fine, but today I try to listen to something but no sound coming from the speaker.

I plugged in my headphones and it seems to be working fine. But when I unplug my headphones no sound. Can anyone help me?

Thank You

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 12th, 2013 18:00

Hello Ninito,

Because you heard the beeps during the color bars display in the PSA onboard diagnostics, that means that the speakers are working.

Because you can hear audio through the headphones that means that the audio hardware and driver are working.

If you re-install the audio driver*** but still cannot hear audio through the speakers, it means that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When the sensing circuitry fails, Windows "thinks" that a plug is in the jack socket and so will not allow the audio signal to be switched to the speakers.

The solution is to replace the jack, but on your model the jack is part of the motherboard. To replace the jack means replacing the motherboard which for most people is too expensive. Your idea of using an external speaker system is probably your best workaround solution.

*** As you may know, Dell does not support Windows 8 on the Studio 1558 model. I assume the audio driver you are using now is the native audio driver that is built into Windows 8. You may also try the IDT audio driver (IDT is the manufacturer of the audio hardware on a Studio 1558). This link will take you to a page of suggested drivers for a Studio 1558 with Windows 8. If you want to try the IDT driver, go to that page and click on the link under the word "Audio".

If you are able to install an IDT audio driver into your Studio 1558 with Windows 8, there is a workaround that might enable audio to come through the speakers. That workaround is in Section V 2 of the Headphone Jack FAQ.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 13th, 2015 04:00

should I need a motherboard which model would I need

Hello. When you can get audio through the headphone jack but none through the speakers, that is almost always due to one of two causes, neither of which would be fixed by replacing your motherboard on the XPS L701x.

> If you perform the PSA or the ePSA tests exactly as per the instructions and do not hear the tones or beeps through the speakers during the tests, but you do hear audio through the headphones when you are back in Windows (the PSA tests run outside of Windows), then the problem is with the speakers. Either they have failed, in which case they need to be replaced, or the connection to the speakers has become loose and needs to be re-seated.

> If you perform the PSA or the ePSA tests and do hear the tones or beeps through the speakers during the tests, but you do not hear audio through the speakers when you are back in Windows, then the problem is with the headphone jack. The XPS L701x model has a replaceable jack circuit board.

A workaround for your problem is to get an inexpensive set of usb speakers.

6 Posts

January 14th, 2015 17:00

Thank you so much, I did the test as stated and my problem seems to be the second issue, so I most likely need a replaceable jack circuit board. I hope it works though I am optimistic that it will. I really appreciate your help. Milly

6 Posts

January 14th, 2015 18:00

Please send me a link or the website address for the service manual if it's not too much trouble.

Wow I'm so impressed by your help, I can't thank you enough.

Milly

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 18:00

I will keep you posted as soon as I receive it and have it installed.

Thanks. You can get the Service Manual here with step by step instructions for disassembling your laptop if you need it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 19:00

6 Posts

February 4th, 2015 07:00

Hello Jim Coates, you were absolutely right on point, I did not need a mother board. I replaced the daughter board as you suggested ( got it on eBay $45.00) and what ya know, I have sound again. Ialso used the two links you provided and believe it or not by following the direction on that link I installed it myself, and I am a girl. I  can't tell you how excited I was when I put my laptop back together and heard the sign on sound for the first time in almost 1 year. Your suggestion saved me a lot of money. I even took it to a so called computer repair and they didn't even figure it out. All I can say is Thank You, Thank you, Thank You.  MillyR

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 11th, 2013 19:00

The sensing mechanism in the headphone jack might be malfunctioning, or the speakers might have gone out, or there might be a configuration issue.

To check speakers, run the PSA or ePSA tests. Instructions here. Some versions of the ePSA tests have a ‘Perform Quick Audio Check’ on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Run that test and check if you can hear the 8 beep tones from the speakers. If you hear the tones then the speakers are functioning okay.

To correct any mis-configuration, re-install your audio driver.

If the configuration is okay and the speakers are okay, then most likely the problem is the headphone jack.  If you need more help please reply with the full model name of your laptop and the name of the operating system you are running.

1.5K Posts

October 12th, 2013 00:00

Hi Ninito,

@jimco: thank you for the inputs; appreciate it.

I would also suggest you run the hardware diagnostics and check if you are able to hear any beeps from the speakers. Please share the system model and the operating system installed.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 12th, 2013 06:00

appreciate it.

Why?

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

I am already handling this. If you or anybody else has ADDITIONAL suggestions to offer then of course you are welcome to join in on the discussion.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2013 16:00

Hello

Thank You Very Much for the reply, I have a Studio Laptop 1558 bought in 2010 with Windows 8 Home installed. The speakers were working fine until yesterday morning. Only when I plug it headphones or earphones it works. Maybe the speaker is busted? I did run diagnostic and I hear the Beep sound when it says color display Yes or No. If the speaker is out I was thinking of just using a alternate speaker and plug it in. But until then I want to keep my options open just to make sure the speaker is really out.

Thank You

From Ninito

January 1st, 2014 12:00

Hi,

i have the same problem As Ninito but i didnt hear the 8 beebs in "diagnostics" ( iam using Dell inspiron 15 3521)

so please tell me what to do ... i just bought the laptop a month ago

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 1st, 2014 19:00

i have the same problem As Ninito but i didnt hear the 8 beebs in "diagnostics" ( iam using Dell inspiron 15 3521)

It would seem that your speakers are disconnected or have failed. I suggest that you contact tech support to schedule a repair. Please notice the warning in my signature below.

January 2nd, 2014 01:00

Thank you for your advice sir

Today the speakers cameback all of sudden O.o and i can hear the Beebs and everything is ok

should i still go to Dell technical support ? cuz if the speakers are not connected properly the problem might occur again.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 04:00

I would go ahead and report it each time it happens to get it "on record". That might be helpful if it turns out to be an intermittent problem that comes and goes. Tech support might not do anything this time but if the problem keeps recurring then they should.

No Events found!