Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 31st, 2006 14:00

Speakers will not mute when plugging in headphones

So at a coffe shop the other day, I was rocking out listening to music on my Insprion 8200 through headphones, and people kept looking at me funny. Finally someone tapped me on the shoulder to ask me to turn it off and then I realized that my speakers were not muted when I plugged in my headphones? What gives?

Is there anyway to manually turn off the speakers and still use the headphone port?

2 Posts

February 1st, 2006 10:00

I use this laptop since the 1st week of jan 06. I got now the same prob. Speakers still working when the headset is plugged in. BUT... no audio via the the headset. So did u solve ur audio problem now? i would appreciate it if u tell me how. cos dell didnt help me out yet.

tnx

Samy

2 Posts

I use this laptop since the 1st week of jan 06. I got now the same prob. Speakers still working when the headset is plugged in. BUT... no audio via the the headset. So did u solve ur audio problem now? i would appreciate it if u tell me how. cos dell didnt help me out yet.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

It could be a bad headphone jack. There is a mechanical switch between the hp jack and the speakers but no software that I know of. In other words if the audio signal gets as far as the hp jack or the speakers it is probably a hardware problem.

When you insert the plug into the jack the plug pushes apart the spring contacts and breaks the connection to the speakers. When you pull out the plug the contacts should spring back together. If you still hear the speakers when a plug is in the jack it would suggest a short in either the jack or in the plug. Try very gently wiggling the plug, or slowly partially removing it and see if any difference.

I once saw a reference to XP pro possibly causing a problem with the headphone jack but I don't know how that could happen.

Jim
No Events found!