Highlighted
punchman1
Bronze

Start pxe over ipv4

So i start up my dell today.  Worked fine lastnight, no issues.  At the dell screen(just the dell name, black screen) i see this pop up.  "Start pxe over ipv4" so i wrote that down.  Then i get pxe-e18:server response time out.  Great i think to myself.  Next is Smiley Frustratedtart pxe over ipv6.  After a bit i see Pxe-e16:no offer received.  So my question is, what the heck is going on?

I just got this laptop in december, and im already having some sort of issue?

Laptop is an inspiron 3520 running windows 8.  Would like to know what this thing means, online searching hasnt helped.

34 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Start pxe over ipv4

Does the system BIOS recognize the hard drive (F2 at powerup)?  If so, is the hard drive listed before the network boot (PXE) in the boot sequence?

0 Kudos
punchman1
Bronze

It does recognize the hard drive.  The boot options says

1.UEIF IP4 realtek pcie FE family control

2.UEIF IP6 realtek pcie FE family control

3. OS

4. Boot Manager.

If that is not what you were talkin about then i dunno.  This is what was listed in the BIOS under the BOOT tab.

0 Kudos
punchman1
Bronze

*Edit, both "family control" should be "family controller".

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Assuming what you want to do is boot from the hard drive, "OS" needs to be listed before the two Ethernet controllers.

0 Kudos
punchman1
Bronze

Any idea what changed this?  Like i said it was fine one morning then that night the  "Start pxe over ipv4" thing happened.  What id like to know is what caused it.  All i installed was a game, the was the only change and bam, weird stuff going on.

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Unknown.  If the system has UEFI, that's a work in progress - as are GPT drives.

0 Kudos
kendrams
Copper

I have had this message several times in the past two days. Same PC, Dell Inspiron 3520, also bought in December 2012. It runs fine, and I have had no other issues with it. I was able to manually turn it off and turn it back on each time and after one or two tries it (slowly) loaded normally. I thought maybe it had to do with having an ethernet cable plugged in before start up, as that is the only change from usual, and by taking out the cable and restarting it worked. But that seemed like a bizarre reason, so I found this forum by looking up the same "Start PXE over IPv4". Did you figure out a resolution to this? I am not PC-savvy at all, so I read the replies but could not understand the rest of the thread :/ I hoped maybe you could let me know how things worked out with yours. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
punchman1
Bronze

What it was doing for me kendrams, is trying to boot out of sequence.  My boot menu looked like this

1.UEIF IP4 realtek pcie FE family control

2.UEIF IP6 realtek pcie FE family control

3. OS

4. Boot Manager.

OS should be number one.  Now i never tried unplugging my net cable to see if that changed anything, since i never used wireless, i started with a cable.  What i did was go into the boot menu(f2 at startup) and just changed OS to #1 and it starts up like it used to.  Nobody was ever able to tell me why it switched things, but it hasnt since i changed it back and the laptop has been running top notch.  Hope that helps you, i know how frustrating this can be.

0 Kudos
kendrams
Copper

Thank you!

0 Kudos