Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2009 22:00

Stereo Mixer?

Hi all,

I have an Alienware M17 limited edition laptop with the IDT HD sound driver but no stereo mix capabiity. Isn't there a driver update that adds this functionality?

I have Windows 7, 64 bit. I've loaded the latest drivers on the support page but haven't been able to get a stereo mixer to work with my audio recording software

Thanks for any responses!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2009 03:00

That is a major issue on many systems and not just Dell systems.  I see that on the Windows 7 forum from other PC brands and motherboards.  My Acer laptop does not have the System Mixer.

Have you tried to "show disabled devices" in the Recording section of the Sounds panel?  Sometimes the system mixer is there and just disabled.  RIGHT click in an empty are of the panel and then LEFT click on show disabled devices.  

There used to be a freeware program that would allow recording streaming audio when there was no system mixer (soundblaster calls it "what you hear") but the last I heard that program was not Vista/Windows 7 compatible. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 12th, 2009 08:00

Isn't there a driver update that adds this functionality?

There is the Sigmatel R171789 driver that is the current driver for about 3 dozen Dell laptop models that have HD audio and run Windows XP. It was the update that allowed stereo mix on those models. I know of no equivalent for models with IDT HD audio, or for 7 or for Vista, except that the R171789 will work on many models with Vista if installed in XP compatibility mode, but those models must have Sigmatel audio not IDT.

I admit I am much less familiar with either Alienware models or Win7 drivers so I might have missed something.

11 Posts

December 12th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for the info!

if you mean the Sounds tab in the control panel , yes that is where I looked and there aren't any places there that allow me to see what has been disabled. Unless i am totally looking in the wrong place. Windows 7 is a little different from what I have been used to in the way of layout. I did see an IDT sound management control application and it doesn't look like stereo mixer is in there either. still looking though thanks!

11 Posts

December 12th, 2009 11:00

Isn't there a driver update that adds this functionality?

There is the Sigmatel R171789 driver that is the current driver for about 3 dozen Dell laptop models that have HD audio and run Windows XP.

Yeah, i used that driver for my smaller LatitudeD620 which put the stereo mixer on there but still not finding the equivalent for the windows 7 drivers for the Alienware that I paid not a small chunk of change on. Maybe i will have to wait for when Windows 7 gets more traction in the market with time.

It was the update that allowed stereo mix on those models. I know of no equivalent for models with IDT HD audio, or for 7 or for Vista, except that the R171789 will work on many models with Vista if installed in XP compatibility mode, but those models must have Sigmatel audio not IDT.

I admit I am much less familiar with either Alienware models or Win7 drivers so I might have missed something.

I believe Sigmatel was bought by IDT so maybe IDT has still not incorporated Sigmatel's manufacturing processes yet but I would think the buying company would start supporting the work of the bought company. I guess time will tell. Thanks for the info and response!

No Events found!