Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

9 Posts

August 2nd, 2008 08:00

Studio 1535 cd eject doesn't work

When I press cd eject touch button, the cd doesn't eject, the same is if I press fn + F10 which also should eject the cd. When I right click on the cd-rom icon and press eject it works, also the touch button works until vista is loaded. Where could be the problem?

EDIT:

Windows Vista 32bit, BIOS update doesn't help, quickset is installed

Message Edited by Alchemikaz on 08-02-2008 01:27 PM

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2008 18:00

There is an Eject button on the Media Control panel. See Page 10 of the manual Here. If there is no disk activity and the button still doesn't work, contact Support.

9 Posts

August 27th, 2008 21:00

I have identical problem. Touch sensitive eject key and Fn+F10 do not respond. While running DOS diagnostic program everything works fine. At one point none of the multimedia keys worked and unplugging power and battery and holding power button for about 30 seconds restored all keys except eject key. Still looking for solution.

I installed XP and eject key works fine. Occasionally it ligths up on startup trying to eject empty drive. 

Message Edited by bomark on 09-03-2008 05:53 PM

October 28th, 2008 01:00

I am having the exact same issue. The eject button on my Studio 1535 (Vista 64 Bit) does not work. I have purchased and returned three laptops from Best Buy withinin the past 30 days because I couldn't figure out what the problem is and assumed that it would be better to return it while I still had the opportunity. I think that the Studio 1535 is a great laptop but am definitely concerned that the cd eject issue could spill into other areas. I hope someone has a solution.

I can still right-click on the drive itself and eject a CD.

October 28th, 2008 08:00

Did you try updating BIOS?

October 28th, 2008 19:00

I started to update the BIOS but got a message that I already had A05 on my system. Any advice? Should I go ahead and give it a try?

2 Posts

November 24th, 2008 10:00

I got a similar problem, but in my case, the cd won't eject even when I'm in BIOS/DOS/F8 menu. The only way to eject the cd is to use the "EJECT" function from My computer.

The system is only 1 day old, and I encountered this problem only after few discs replacements. very frustrating. :emotion-12:

1 Message

December 7th, 2008 23:00

AFTER TRYING FOR A WEEK I THINK I HAVE A FIX FOR EJECT BUTTON PROBLEM, UNINSTALL TREND MIRCO AND THAT DID THE TRCK FOR ME. I INSTALL TREND MICRO AND THE PROBLEM CAME BACK. I UNINSTALL IT AGAIN, AND THE BUTTON WORK AGAIN, GOOD LUCK

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU GUYS

3 Posts

December 19th, 2008 04:00

I encountered the same problem. I read the other posts- this isn't due to trend micro or any other pre-installed software (I reloaded my laptop as soon as I received it so none of the software that Dell typically loads you up with could have been the cause). This is definitely an issue with the BIOS.

Updating the BIOS to version A06 seems to fix the problem for me.

Wait... I stand corrected... I spoke too soon. I am really beginning to get annoyed by this laptop!

2 Posts

December 21st, 2008 05:00

I have the same problem with a Studio 1535 that arrived on Dec 16, 2008.  The touch sensitive CD button will intermittently not function.  It seems to occur more frequently after the laptop has gone to sleep with a cd disk in the drive...after the laptop is awakened, the only way to eject the disk is to go to My Computer and right click the cd drive, select eject.  I will try the suggestions to update key software and firmware and see if the problem gets resolved.

1 Message

December 30th, 2008 12:00

I have the same problem with a dell studio 17. Thanks for the tip regarding use the Fn+ F10 during the boot menu, that helped get the DVD out of the slot drive. The other problem I had was it was more than stuck. It prevented the system startup from proceeding correctly, the laptop would always come up with a "launch system restore" prompt. Once  I got it removed its all ok now. I am sceptical about vista. I am planning on going back to XP!

8 Posts

January 12th, 2009 07:00

I also have the same issue with a Studio 1737.  Both the eject touch button and Fn+F10 work when in BIOS or the Diagnostics application but not in Vista.  I've had this box for...a whole 3 hours and it's starting to get frustrating and there doesn't seem to be any solution anywhere!

3 Posts

January 15th, 2009 01:00

Yep, exactly the same here with my new Studio 1737, after a few hours the eject button and Fn F10 no longer work once the OS has started loading.

The eject button lights up and then fades out as you'd expect, and all the other function combos (Screen Brightness, Keyboard lights, battery status, etc) and Media buttons (Play, Stop, Volume, etc) work as expected.

8 Posts

January 15th, 2009 05:00

Hi Zhaph,

As it turns out I now have the problem resolved.  Dell sent an engineer to replace the hinge cover and mobo and predictably this didn't resolve it.  But downgrading the BIOS to A00 did resolve the issue.  I posted on another forum and someone there brought up a possible point about the BIOS.  Mine originally shipped with A04 (arrived last Monday so I'm assuming yours has A04 as well), the only BIOS available in the drivers section is A02.  Why would Dell not offer A03 or A04 for download.  The person has suggested that maybe Dell are accidently shipping these 1737's and 1537's with the 1735 and 1535 BIOS's (the 1735 is now on BIOS A05 so it's possible)?

I would suggest that you try downgrading your BIOS to the A02 if it's at A04 first and see if that resolves your issue.

Cheers,

Ry

3 Posts

January 15th, 2009 13:00

Hi there Ry,

Yes, this is also what the Dell Support Chat agent suggested this morning - indeed I was running with version A04, and downgrading to A02 appears to have fixed my issues - here's hoping it stays that way.

Many thanks for the reply,

Zhaph

January 17th, 2009 19:00

Hi.  I just got my 1535 Weds 1/14/09 with the same issue, same scenario.    It was shipped with A05 installed, however I never used the CD eject button until after I updated to A06.  It is also very frustrating :emotion-12:

I also had an issue with the Backup and Restore Center (Vista 64-bit) not ejecting the discs.   Actually I think the only software that does eject it is Windows Media Center.  However, no matter what does not eject it, I can always us right-click on the Drive in Computer.

I think my best bet would be to got on Dell support chat and find out what BIOS I should be at........

No Events found!