Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2013 01:00

Studio Laptop - Wont connect to wifi but Ethernet Cable works

Hi If anyone could help me with my problem, I'd be very grateful! The wifi on my computer last night stopped working whilst other devices in my house could still connect. I've taken all the usual steps but still won't connect. I can see the networks listed when I use the wifi but when I enter the security key it just "unable to connect" I was able to successfully connect with the Ethernet cable but after that it still didn't work. Brought my laptop to work today and have the same problem. Everyone else has no problems, just me. I've tried: Resetting the router System restore Turning off the firewall I am running Windows 7 32bit Cheers Mark

750 Posts

May 7th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mark,

Issue appears to be due to corrupted Wireless card drivers. Please follow the instructions available in the below mentioned link to reinstall the drivers:

http://dell.to/15mnGEd

While downloading the drivers from support site, ensure to select the operating system as Windows 7 32-bit.

Kindly let me know the results.

5 Posts

May 7th, 2013 19:00

Hi Kalyan

I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling a new one that I downloaded but still just the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

750 Posts

May 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi Mark,

Let us create a network profile manually and check if the laptop can connect to the Wireless network. Before we begin, ensure that you have the correct Security key for the Wireless network. Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Click “Start”, and then click “Control Panel”.
  2. Click “Network and Internet”, and then clickNetwork and Sharing Center”.
  3. Click “Manage wireless networks” in the navigation pane.
  4. Right-click the network profile listed, and then click “Properties”.
  5. Make a note of the settings: Network name, Security type, Encryption type and Security key, and then close the “Properties” window.
  6. Right-click the same network profile, and then click “Remove”.
  7. Click “Add”, and then click “Manually create a network profile”.
  8. Enter the settings that we noted earlier.
  9. Ensure to check the boxes for “Start this connection automatically” and “Connect even if the network is not broadcasting”.
  10. Click “Next”.

The computer should now automatically connect to Wireless network.

If the issue persists, we can check if the computer connects to the Wireless network in Safe mode with Networking. Please refer the following link for instructions to boot the computer in Safe mode with Networking: http://dell.to/105rLDt

Please post the results.

5 Posts

May 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Kaylan

I tried your first suggestion but I it didn't work.

As for the Safe mode option, I could see all the networks as before but just the same as normal mode it would just say "unable to connect to"......

750 Posts

May 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mark,

I would like to know if you tried connecting the computer to an unsecured Wireless Network. This is to check if the issue is due to security settings. To further troubleshoot the issue, please follow the instructions in the below mentioned article:

http://bit.ly/TFscr9

Do reply with the results.

5 Posts

May 13th, 2013 06:00

Hi Kaylan

I tried almost everything, bar throwing the laptop out the window and nothing worked!

I then swapped the wireless card with another laptop and the new wireless card works perfectly!  No problems whatsoever.

I thought the problem was obvious a hardware fault and sure enough when installed onto the different laptop, I could see the internet connections but wouldn"t connect.  But then suddenly it just started working and I've no idea why.

I then thought it might be a loose connection or something but before this I tried uninstalling the card, physically removing it and then re-inserting it, so plug and play would re-install it but this didn't work.

Well anyway my problem seems to be solved but I am not exactly sure why.....

Best regards

Mark

750 Posts

May 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the update. It appears to me that the problem was due to the Wireless card's physical connectivity. Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

If the same issue occurs again or for any other issues, do post in the forum. We'd be glad to assist.

No Events found!