Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2011 05:00

Synaptics trackpad won't scroll on Mozilla Firefox/TB.

The newest version of Synaptics track pad for the XPS 17 (L702x) does not scroll on any Mozilla applications; that goes for Firefox and Thunderbird mail. All other stuffs like Internet Explorer, MS Office applications, etc scrolls fine. I tried an older version of the touchpad driver or one directly from Synaptics and it will work, but then the Fn+F3 key won't disable/enable the pad. We need an update on the driver.

December 17th, 2011 21:00

Try this, it worked for me. Using RegEdit (so be careful not to break more things than you fix), create a DWORD entry called UseScrollCursor in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh] and sets its value to 0, then reboot your laptop, You should be able to scroll with your trackpad after that.

44 Posts

December 16th, 2011 06:00

The driver that came with my computer is OEM Ver: 15.3.22.0. It is so new (along with the BIOS: A14) that it's not even listed on Dell's support site yet. I have tried the version from your link but the FN+F3 key does not disable the pad. I've also tried a version from the L701X, and finally I gave up all from Dell's and decided to use one directly from Synaptics. The only annoyance is that the FN+F3 key which supposed to disable/enable the pad is obviously not working since it is not embedded with any of Dell's program. It's not a really big deal since I hardly turned the pad on/off anyway. Also, if I need to, I can control it through the 'Quickset' function, but the problem would be turning it back on since I can't use the cursor when the pad is disabled. I'd have to navigate using the TAB key from the keyboard to get to the button and hit ENTER.

3.8K Posts

Hi 80sGuy,

Welcome to the Community. Have you tried uninstalling the driver and then try reinstalling it? To uninstall, click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbol next to Pointing Devices, right click on Synaptics Touchpad and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm, once its removed use the below link to install it.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

44 Posts

Oh, sorry Royan and thanks for the suggestion, but Dell definitely needs to take care of this issue.

44 Posts

December 17th, 2011 21:00

I have NO IDEA where to begin to create such list of numbers!

44 Posts

December 17th, 2011 22:00

Sylvain,

I had decided to 'carefully' duplicated your instructions and now it is working!

Thank you.

1 Message

March 21st, 2012 12:00

THIS finally solved my problem on my Dell XPS 17. This Dell was delivered February 2012 and scrolling in Firefox was not possible.

Many many thanks!

Haru54

1 Message

April 5th, 2012 14:00

Hello Sylvain,

Thanks for your suggestion. It helped me and others a lot. 

Only the other day I learned that the touchpad still isn't working in the agenda of outlook.

Do you have any suggestions to tackle this problem?

Best regards.

Grandre

No Events found!