Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2012 12:00

System freezes (/hangs) randomly on Dell Inspiron 5110 after going from Windows 7 to 8 Pro.

Hello people! Around June my father bought me a Dell Inspiron 5110 with Windows 7 Home Premioum pre-installed, and it worked perfectly fine untill I updated to windows 8 Pro, 2 weeks ago (in order to take advantage of the 15 Euro price  that's untill January). Just after we finied installation), I moved the mouse to press on "Setting" and the system froze competely (with no button pressable of mouse movable), so we closed it form the power button. As time passed I figured out that

1) The system would freeze at totally random points for unknown reason

2) When wireless adapter  is disabled (and the laptop is connected to Ethernet)  the system would not freeze). So I am suspecting that its the wireless adapter that causing the problem. (While browsing the internet I found that alot of people had had problem with the Broadcom wifi adapters in the past: eg http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/101-257511/help-my-wireless-adapter-is-freezing-my-computer)

I have also asked at the microsoft forum about this without taking any good answer for now. Do I need to change the wifi adapter ?

At this point I have installed all the drivers for other hardware on my computer, available at the Dell site (after providing my service tag and choosing Windows 8).

Here are by system specs

Summary
        Operating System
            Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz    55 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4,00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            Dell Inc. 0HVRTT (CPU 1)    56 °C
        Graphics
            Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
            1023MB GeForce GT 525M (Dell)    50 °C
        Hard Drives
            596GB SAMSUNG HM641JI (SATA)    39 °C
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT50N
        Audio
            IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Windows Security Center
            User Account Control (UAC)    Enabled
            Notify level    2 - Default
            Firewall    Enabled
        Windows Update
            AutoUpdate    Notify prior to download
        Windows Defender
            Windows Defender    Enabled
        Antivirus
            Antivirus    Enabled
            Display Name    Windows Defender

.NET Frameworks installed
            v4.5 Full
            v4.5 Client
            v3.5 SP1
            v3.0 SP2
            v2.0 SP2

Network Adapters List
                Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
                Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
                Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

5.2K Posts

December 17th, 2012 15:00

When you used the MS Upgrade Assistant, did it say anything about the Wi-Fi adaptor? If the wi-fi driver is incompatible, Win 8 will have installed a compatible driver. Check in the Device Manager to see what it says about the driver. You could go to the Broadcom site and look for a Win 8 driver for you're card.

December 17th, 2012 22:00

Nope it didnt, that's why I was surprised when the problem occurred, in the incompatibility list only a couple of programs which I uninstalled, were listed. Windows update and Device manager don't find any new version about the driver, also where in the Broadcom site can I find driver for it, because i gone and didn't found anything for it.

The list of hardware incompatible with my system are (according to the firefox file that was saved on my system)

WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software
Broadcom Corporation, Version 6.3.0.7600
Dell Touchpad
ALPS ELECTRIC CO., LTD., Version 7.1209.101.204
Update available

I have already updated the "Dell Wireless 1701 Bluetooth v3.0+H.S" to the latest version  (12.0.0.10) isn't that the same?

I downloaded a braodcom installer for buetooth drivers and I will write what happens later today

December 18th, 2012 08:00

Okay so the SetupBtwDownloadSE I downloaded from broadcom updated 2 of my drivers and the problem seems to be fixed, but I will wait 2-3 days to make sure.

Forget it, its not fixed yet, probably because the drivers that were updated was not the one that's causing the problem :( And it loved to troll me, it worked fine for about and hour, and when I was starting believing it was fixed, it froze. Isnt there any update for that driver ? T_T

On another note, one of the previoud days, from the many closings from the powerbutton, it popped me at startup the new sceeen with the repair options so I choosed "Refresh PC" and it removed all the programs I had installed, along with the IDT Audio Drivers. Later on I found it in the drivers list and installed the most recent one (Released on 9/8/2012, version 6.10.0.6421) , but now when I click on it at the Control Panel the IDT application windows doesnt show. Can you help me on this ?

Today came out a new driver for the n.videa graphics card, it says to check with the OEM if its ok to install, so is it ok to be installed on Inspiron 5110 system ?

No Events found!