Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2017 10:00

TB16 USB issue

We have a few users here who are experiencing issues after the most recent update to the TB16 USB drivers.  The computer seems to freeze when going between multiple monitors, USB ports are either functioning sporadically or not at all, and the external keyboard and mouse seem to stick.

We have performed the following:

• switched out the keyboard and mouse for new ones
  • updated the system drivers and performed the latest Windows updates
  • exchanged the dock for a different one
  • changed out all cables

Please let me know if there's a bug in the latest updates and if we should attempt to roll back.

Eric

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 03:00

I downgraded my 7480's BIOS to 1.4.6 from 1.5.2 and the problem seems to have disappeared - touch wood. Will hold off any further BIOS upgrades until this is confirmed fixed.

8 Posts

September 8th, 2017 09:00

OK, I swapped out my dock for the new one and it is working 100% (after resetting my DP monitors)

New serial no is: CN-00J5C6-12963-72M-0317-A02

I would suggest that anyone still having an issue contact Dell support and see if they will swap them out.

489 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 01:00

WD15 too.

Probably the Dell XPS 15 9550 1.2.29 System BIOS.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 03:00

I am having the same problem with a TB16 dock and a Latitude 7480 - just updated, rebooted, USB connectivity through the dock sporadic, i.e. mouse cursor hangs from time to time. Can the BIOS be rolled back?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 07:00

The TB 16 shows ASMedia USB divers released Aug. 1 (1.16.47.1).  Anyone using those?

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 07:00

We are also having the same issue with the TB16 and a Precision Workstation 5510. The trouble started after the latest "critical firmware update"posted Aug 1st.

The issue I'm having is the mouse freezes and stops responding randomly and the keyboard will just start adding characters as you type.

If I remove the system from the dock or plug into the laptops USB ports the issue is gone.

Latest Update Precision_5510_1.2.29 BIOS

I'm going to try downgrading the Bios to the prior release

Precision 5510 1.2.25 BIOS

Located at:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 09:00

I tired all the latest drivers and it did not make a difference. I rolled back to the prior bios version and the issue has appeared to have stopped. The latest version has some important security fixes so I hope they have the issue resolved soon.

August 3rd, 2017 10:00

I downgraded the BIOS to 1.2.25, and that seems to have fixed the USB devices attached to the TB16. However, the laptop doesn't boot properly if booting while connected to the dock. It's not good, but it's better than not having access to my keyboard and mouse while docked.

Anyone thinking of doing the same thing should know that I had to completely reinstall Windows through the BIOS mess, losing all of my hard drive data. Very unhappy with this terrible BIOS update.

I've lost tons of business while trying to get the computer up and running. The worst thing is that this isn't even the first time Dell has released a *** BIOS update that nukes their systems.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 12:00

I wish you the best. The Thunderbolt Dock is nothing I could issue for our employees to use. I originally had a TB15 and after a year of it not working correctly out of the blue I received a TB16. This works much better, but issues like a BIOS upgrade is ridiculous. I'll be sticking with Lenovo T series with the proprietary docking solution for all our uses. This just works!

August 3rd, 2017 13:00

Agree with LMan.

I've had more problems with this XPS 9550 in the past two years than with all of my other computers for the past 15 years combined. It's been a long time since I've purchased a Dell, and given how insanely bad the software updates and overall reliability of this machine have gone, I doubt I will buy another Dell anytime soon.

Some of my colleagues have Lenovos and are very happy with them. I may dump this XPS 15 and get a Lenovo instead. Doesn't matter how pretty a laptop is; if it doesn't work reliably, it has to go.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2017 09:00

I am having the same issue with users here- I have also noticed that the BIOS update is what seems to have caused it. For a short term fix, we have all keyboard/mouse periferals going straight into the laptop (Lat 7480), which completely fixes the issue. I am on a Logitech unifying receiver and with that straight to the pc the issue goes away for the time being. I created an account just to post here because it is so annoying and I need to get a fix.

August 4th, 2017 19:00

Just a followup....downgrading the BIOS didn't work. Eventually the laptop would blue-screen after 5 - 15 minutes when connected to the TB16. Had another round with Dell tech support. They remotely re-installed a bunch of the Dell thunderbolt-related drivers and re-applied the 1.2.29 BIOS update (thankfully the computer didn't lose the hard drive this time).

The TB16 still didn't work correctly. Video worked fine, but the USB peripheral connection for USB devices connected to the TB16 was intermittent and unreliable.

After an hour of troubleshooting, the tech support engineer is sending me a replacement TB16. Hope that fixes things, but I'm not feeling too confident with Dell. Wish me luck.

1 Message

August 4th, 2017 20:00

I am not going to speak too soon.

However, I installed this driver WITH the latest BIOS and it has *so far* seemed to have fixed my issue. Beforehand, the USBs would stop working within less than a minute and I had to re-plug the dock each time. I'll keep posting if issue comes back.

August 4th, 2017 21:00

What version did you downgrade to?

14 Posts

August 4th, 2017 21:00

FWIW, downgrading did work for me and my TB16.

No Events found!