Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 03:00

THINKING OF BUYING THE VOSTRO LAPTOP 3450 BUT HAVE QUESTIONS:

1) THE PROPOSED CONFIGURATION INCLUDES ONLY ONE 4GB DDR3 at 1333MHZ, 1 DIMM.  WILL I BE ABLE TO ADD A SECOND ONE SO TO HAVE 8GB TOTAL? 

AND 2) IS THE VOSTRO LAPTOP 3450 LIKE THE LATITUDE KEYBOARDS?  I LIKE THEM AND DESPISE THE CHICLET KEYBOARDS.

AND 3) IS THE KEYBOARD ON THE 3450 BACKLIT?  IT SAYS SO BUT I SAW A POST THAT SAID HE GOT HIS HOME AND IT REALLY WASN'T BACKLIT.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 26th, 2011 04:00

1.  Yes, it'll take 8G (with a 64-bit OS).

2.  No.  They're nowhere near the same quality - the Vostros use a cheaper keyboard design.

3.  Not unless you buy that option.  Backlit keyboards aren't standard.

1 Message

April 20th, 2011 15:00

Here's something you might want to be aware of regarding this laptop: the hard drive is not user replaceable. To do so requires a complete dis-assembly of the laptop, down to the level of removing the system board. According to Dell, doing so voids the warranty. So, if you ever want to install an SSD drive or replace the hard drive due to failure post-warranty, its a major project and is beyond what the average user will want to take on. There's really no excuse for engineering a laptop like this.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 04:00

i have the 3450 with i5 and 6630m ati video card:

• build quality 9/10
    • solid and nice
  • size 6/10
    • a little too fat and heavy for a 14" 
  • keyboard (backlit) 8/10
    • very nice and does not flex
  • screen 3/10  
    • poor colors and ugly grainy effects only good aspect is matte finish.. really tink to send it back as seen the grainy scrren but i need the laptop urgently and decided to keep it
  • battery life 4/10
    • only 3 hours on office work in wifi with screen brightness at 70% i hoped for at least 5h...
  • connection 10/10
    • all you need!! hdmi vga usb3 esata card reader!
  • performance 8/10
    • swithcable gpu+sndy bridge, very powerful.. but very buggy (ati) drivers 
  • upgradability 3/10
    • the first thig you woild like to upgrade is the disk, but hou have to dismantle all the notebook to reack it! and no manuals online at the moment teach you how...
  • noise 6/10
    • very noisy under load(gaming), more silent but audible in office work.

comments:

i can live with the standard hard drive but my biggest complain is the screen. i can tolerate the poor colours but i hate the grainy screen i had an xps15 (1366x768) with a grainy screen and send it back and now another one.. dell should start using decent screen(and replace in warranty the shipped ones!)

April 22nd, 2011 10:00

Geez!  I am really glad you told me this!!!

5 Posts

April 27th, 2011 18:00

I purchased a Vostro 3450 (I5/4G/500Ghd).  I got it 1 week ago. So far the the touch pad software upgraded, palm rest has been replaced and the tech is bring a new key board. Why you ask? The problem is with the results of typing. Sometimes the cursor takes a random walk on the page you are typing. Sometimes, I get radom bolding tabing and even new tabs in IE. A lot of fun from a new computer (NOT). If It is not fixed tomorrow, back in the box and back to DELL.

P.S. the computer does not even come with the usual little green user manual. As a user you are to figure out for your self how to use the finger print reader, touchpad features, etc. There is not even one online.

35 Posts

May 20th, 2011 03:00

Bit dissapointing about Dell not yet having a User Manual available for the Vostro 3450.  Also, upgrading the hard drive sounds unusually difficult.

I guess the best solution is to choose the largest hard drive option when placing an order.  At least this might delay the upgrade.

Has anyone heard when a manual is likely to be available?

Thanks

35 Posts

June 9th, 2011 07:00

fogchaser,

Have to agree with you about the HDD being rediculously difficult to replace.

The HDD died on my Vostro 3450 five days after it was delivered.  Just bad luck of course, and it could happen to any laptop.

The Dell service technician came around today and replaced the HDD under warranty.  To do the replacement he had to literally (and I mean literally) pull the whole laptop apart.  It took him about an hour to do the replacement and to reassemble.  Admittedly he did say that this was the first time that he had to replace a HDD in this type of laptop; so he was flying blind.  On the other hand, he would have had plenty of experience at stripping down loads of laptops - and it still took him an hour to do the replacement.

If you're thinking of replacing/upgrading a HDD yourself then make sure you allow plenty of time for it.

I don't mind opening up computers to replace failed parts and upgrade components; and have been doing so with PC's and laptops for years.  However, replacing a HDD in this laptop is such a hassle that I would seriously consider paying someone else (which would be the first time ever) to do it for me.

Fortunately I took out the 3 year warranty option when I bought the laptop; so at least if the HDD fails again within the next few years then Dell will send out a technician to replace it for free.

If anyone is thinking of buying a Vostro 3450 then I would recommend that you select the largest HDD option you can possibly afford.  You really want to try and avoid having to upgrade the drive later on.

By the way, the method used to replace/upgrade DIMM is straight forward.  You just take off the back cover and there it is.

Does anyone know if Dell has made a conscious decision to start designing their new models such that it is difficult for owners to upgradable components?  Or if it is only the Vostro 3450 that has this problem?

Also, does anyone know when the service manual for the Vostro 3450 will be available on the Dell website?  Given how diifficult it is to replace the HDD, it woud be great to at least be able to refer to an instruction manual.

35 Posts

June 21st, 2011 15:00

The service manual has just become available for download from the website.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2011 10:00

Hi, is your ◦keyboard (backlit) optional that you have opt for? Reason I ask because there isn't an option for that from my local dell website even I want to customise it.

5 Posts

July 30th, 2011 16:00

yes it is back lit, and was part of the package that included the I5, Dell makes options available in differnt bundles

4 Posts

July 30th, 2011 16:00

Thanks, guess it just not available worldwide.

1 Message

May 13th, 2012 13:00

I purchased a Vostro 3450 (I5/4G/500Ghd).  I got it 1 week ago. So far the the touch pad software upgraded, palm rest has been replaced and the tech is bring a new key board. Why you ask? The problem is with the results of typing. Sometimes the cursor takes a random walk on the page you are typing. Sometimes, I get radom bolding tabing and even new tabs in IE. A lot of fun from a new computer (NOT). If It is not fixed tomorrow, back in the box and back to DELL.

P.S. the computer does not even come with the usual little green user manual. As a user you are to figure out for your self how to use the finger print reader, touchpad features, etc. There is not even one online.

well, you can turn off the touchpad by pressing (Fn F3) that should solve when your typing up a paper

1 Message

May 13th, 2012 14:00

It was a nearly a year old post. To fix the problem, Dell issues an up date to the several deiver including the touch pad driver. The latest current verion of the rivers fixed the problem.

No Events found!