Highlighted
morganpugh
Bronze

Tighten laptop lid hinge?

Hi,

My laptop lid (the screen) is getting very lose and if i rock the laptop the lid has about a 1cm sway. Is there anyway I can tighten the laptop like how it was when I first got it? I assume that something somewhere just needs to be tightened up. Thanks.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
tbomb15
Bronze

Re: Tighten laptop lid hinge?

i have the EXACT same problem, but my inspiron 8100 was always like that since the first day i received it.  if someone can post a link or describe (in detail if possible) how to open this thing up and tighten down whatever is inside, that would be great

TIA.

0 Kudos
jedisurfer
Silver

same thing was told by another poster that the tightness was internal which seems dumb to me

0 Kudos
tbomb15
Bronze

so you're saying that there's no way to fix this?
0 Kudos
robert1039
Silver

I'm looking at the front of the hinges on my 8100 and I see a small round "plug" on each hinge.  I bet you can pop those plugs off and tighten an adjusting screw underneath them.

Bob

0 Kudos
morganpugh
Bronze

Anyone want to give it a try and let us know Smiley Wink

I had a look and I also see similar hinges. I can't see anything to tighten so I guess there must be something hidden somewhere. I would really like to tighten the hinge as then the laptop will be perfect again Smiley Very Happy

Also does anyone know of a good way to clean the screen mine has some finger marks, etc on it Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
tbomb15
Bronze

if no one tried it by this weekend, ill pop off those lil plugs and poke around, then report back.

as far as cleaning the monitor, just wipe it down with something.  i dont really care what i use on it - usually just a damp cloth though.

0 Kudos
robert1039
Silver

I just stuck my little fingernail in the cutout on that "tab" and it hinged itself to the side.  Underneath us sure 'nuff a small phillips head screw.  'Bet that tightens it!!

Bob

0 Kudos
morganpugh
Bronze

i will try it out later thanks all.
0 Kudos
tbomb15
Bronze

i tried it.  it didnt work.  first of all, on my laptop (inspiron 8100), the little thing didnt "hinge over", it was just a little sticker-like thing.  and i tightened the screws, but they only seem to tight the hinge where it attaches to the screen/monitor.  i need to tighten the hinge where it attached to the bottom part of the laptop (like, the keyboard part.)
0 Kudos