Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2012 15:00

Toaster.exe - Bad Image Error

My cousin is having an issue with his laptop that I am trying to help fix. When he turns on the computer and signs on to his Windows account he gets a blank screen with a mouse cursor and nothing else. He said he left it like that for 6 hours before he gave up and shut the computer off. I recently ran Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper and cleaned off several viruses. When I turned it back on I still got the blank screen. I left it on over night and when I checked it moments ago I saw the following error message:

Toaster.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\system32\ded8thk.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system Administrator.
I can't get onto the computer to do anything. I can only work with what I have before the operating system loads up. I'd like to get it back to my cousin ASAP but I don't know how to fix this problem.
Asked Microsoft about it and they said to come here...
Computer is a Dell Studio 1749 Laptop

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2012 16:00

Sounds like the datasafe local backup software is damaged.  If you can get in, uninstall it and then reinstall it.  IF not, try booting to safe mode (F8 before windows loads) and remove and then reinstall it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Uninstall the Dell Datasafe Local Backup software and then reinstall it.

You should be able to get into safe mode (Unless something else is wrong - run a full extended hardware diagnostic on the hard drive if you cannot -- F12 at powerup).

So I have to uninstall then reinstall Toaster.exe? And what if I can't get into safe mode?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2012 18:00

Yes, it should be.

How do I uninstall it? I have it on Safe Mode but am unsure as to how I would install it. Would it be in "Add or Remove Programs"?

Ok, then I guess one last question before I continue, where do I reinstall it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2012 19:00

Ok I guess I do have another question. Is it needed? I was able to fix it by removing it but do I need to reinstall it?

1 Message

December 7th, 2012 04:00

The Dell DataSafe program sucks.  My copy was corrupt on my new computer right out of the box. Calls to tech support, several installs and uninstalls later it still sucks.  I even paid the $40 to get the pro version (sucker version) only to find out it doesn't backup to network storage.  I only came here because I was getting the same TOASTER error. When you attempt to uninstall it says that you will not be able to do a System Restore from a previous point in time.  This would be a bad idea because MS updates Win 7 like every 48 hours and 1 out of 10 of those updates requires a system restore.  So now I don't even know if I can or should uninstall this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> .

No Events found!