Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 31st, 2011 19:00

Touch pad buttons not working!

Hi. I REALLY need help with my touchpad buttons.
Earlier today my touchpad buttons were working perfectly fine. And then all of a sudden they stopped working.
My keyboard is still working and the actual touchpad and cursor are working fine. It's just the buttons.
I've checked to see if they were disabled. and they were enabled and it said that it was working fine. I've tried disabling it and enabling it again but it still doesn't work. 

Can you please help me?

Ps. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1558. 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2011 16:00

Boot the the computer and at boot hit F12 and run diagnostics on the touchpad. If you are unable to run diags then download the diagnostics iso from the Support drivers page and create a bootable diagnostics cd. Hit F12 and choose boot to cd and run diags on the touchpad. If it fails in diags then you will need to buy another palmrest. One last ditch effort would be to reseat the touchpad cable.

1 Message

September 14th, 2011 03:00

i have the same problem i run the diagnostics and it told me that there is no problem with my system !! and the buttons still don't work

plz need help:emotion-9:

2.4K Posts

September 14th, 2011 11:00

Try removing the mice in device manager and reboot and let them reinstall.

934 Posts

September 14th, 2011 13:00

I do not have the original Dell system configuration anymore so I cannot tell you how to enter Dell's pre-installed graphical diagnostic tool but you can insert your Dell "Driver/Utility CD" and reboot your system.Press F12  during boot and from the menu choose "CD/DVD ... Drive".You'll see a window: choose "Test system"(use the arrow down key)and hit the "enter"- key.A new window will appear:choose "Custom Test" => "pointing device"=>PS2 Mouse:now you can test your touchpad buttons.

I've got an inspiron 1545 and the Driver CD is bootable - hope it works for you too.

1 Message

January 1st, 2013 08:00

my touch pad is only able to scroll the curser but its not able to click.....neither the buttons are working....

it was working and god knows wat happened and it stopped working.... help plz....

1.8K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi nidz,

Please check and let me know if the buttons are sticky or broken.

Is there any accidental damage like spillage, system dropped accidentally etc?  If not, you can re-install the touchpad drivers by following the steps below and see if it makes the difference:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/OukFUO
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the touchpad driver under “Input”.
  • Click on the touchpad driver
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the touchpad driver by following the on screen instructions.

Please share the findings. 

No Events found!