Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2013 09:00

Touchpad not working on E6410

My Latitude E6410 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine crashed yesterday and when it came back up I was no longer able to use the touchpad, buttons below the touchpad, or the middle button above the touchpad.  The pointer stick, along with the right and left button above the touchpad are still working properly.

I have tried reinstalled the ALPS driver and the Dell touchpad software.  This did not solve my problem.

When I open the touchpad software it shows the touchpad as being enabled but it does not show any configuration for the pointer stick or buttons above the touchpad.

Does anyone have any ideas on what driver or application I need to install to get my touchpad and buttons operational again?

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2013 04:00

Hi slathrop, 

You can uninstall and re-install the touchpad driver from 'Device Manager' by following the steps below:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Mouse and other pointing devices”, you will find the touchpad driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. 
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the link: http://dell.to/10Bmv1f
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the touchpad driver by following the on screen instructions. 
  • Check if the issue is resolved or not. 

If the issue still persists, you can also perform a system restore. 

Note: Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC. All the data will be preserved however all the applications you have installed after that date will be lost and you may to reinstall it again. 

For more information on system restore, you can refer to link: http://bit.ly/XhBLi1 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

3 Posts

January 30th, 2015 06:00

@bda78

It's been so long I can't remember for certain but it was either CentOs or Ubuntu.  Can't tell you what versions it might have been though.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2013 08:00

Those are the steps I had previously followed that did not work.

As such I was beginning to suspect the possibility of a HW failure and booted a Linux CD and verified that the touchpad worked properly there.

After verifying the HW was working I rebooted Windows (again) and the Touchpad software started to recognize my pointer stick and the touchpad started working.

1.8K Posts

January 18th, 2013 04:00

Hi slathrop, 

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

19 Posts

January 21st, 2013 08:00

All these little tips about the Touch Pads are interesting reading. The problem is the Elan Touch Pad. I have had 7 Dell computers and never a Touch Pad problem. Now I have this new 15R The Alps pads never gave any problems,

How do you put an Alps pad in a 15R. or do you just but a pc that does not have a Elan Pad?

1 Message

January 30th, 2015 03:00

can i ask what linux cd did you use to test your hw

No Events found!