Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

70 Posts

February 16th, 2004 22:00

Turn off touchpad while USB mouse is in?

Hi all. I have an i8500 (specs below) and I am wondering if there is an option somewhere to turn off the touchpad while a USB mouse is plugged in...... there is an option to do this in the BIOS that turns off the touchpad when a PS-2 mouse is present, but this doesn't help me much as the i8500 doesn't have a PS-2 port! (and I have tried turning this option on, but the touchpad still goes with the USB mouse in). Thanks.

70 Posts

February 17th, 2004 00:00

Yeah, I knew about how I could change it in mouse properties...... I am just trying to work out a way to do it automatically when I plug the USB mouse in, rather than change it everytime I have to unplug the mouse to use the Touchpad (I have a lot of USB devices.... so often I am unplugging and changing them. I just want it so that when I have the mouse in its off, and when I have it unplugged for something else it automatically changes to touchpad). Is there no option or 3rd party program to do this?

401 Posts

plugging in the usb mouse should disable the touchpad.  If not you can disable it in mouse properties in the control panel.

791 Posts

On a i8500, plugging in a mouse doesn't disable the touchpad automatically.

To disable it, go to Control Panel > Mouse Options. In the window that pops up, there is an option there that allows you to disable either the trackpoint or touchpad.

7.3K Posts

February 17th, 2004 03:00

On my 4000, I set the BIOS pointing device to PS/2 Mouse and while the mouse is plugged in, the touchpad is disabled.  When the mouse is out, the touchpad works - all I do is plug or unplug.

2.2K Posts

February 17th, 2004 05:00

I know what you mean, as I myself have been frustrated at this feature (or lack thereof I should say).... because I also use many USB devices which means that I swap the mouse out all the time (I use USB Hard drive which requires both the USB ports, a USB floppy, USB memory key, USB printer, etc). I'm sorry I can't recommend a program or solution though as I have yet to find one myself.

stu

Message Edited by sakor1 on 02-17-2004 05:50 PM

70 Posts

February 17th, 2004 05:00

@johnallg wrote:
On my 4000, I set the BIOS pointing device to PS/2 Mouse and while the mouse is plugged in, the touchpad is disabled.  When the mouse is out, the touchpad works - all I do is plug or unplug.

That is exactly what I want to do.... the problem being as I said in my first post. The i8500 BIOS gives the option to disable the touchpad while a PS-2 mouse is in, but as the i8500 has no PS-2 port is kind of pointless.... and it doesn't apply to the USB mouse. I just want an option or program that will do this, but my search has been in vain thus far.

5 Posts

February 17th, 2004 12:00

yeah, you could disable the touchpad in the control panel>mouse properties>touch click on the dropdown and disable the touchpad.

70 Posts

February 17th, 2004 19:00

*sigh* The others had already suggested that, and I know how to do it..... its just I am hoping (probably in vain) that someone will post with a solution, but I may end up having to do it manually.

7.3K Posts

February 18th, 2004 00:00

On the 4000, it acts the same wether I plug the mouse into the PS/2 port or the USB port - same mouse, same results.

70 Posts

February 19th, 2004 07:00

Not on the i8500 . It's very frustrating. Well I'm running the latest system BIOS A05... maybe if I go back tio a previous BIOS it'll fix it? It might just be an issue with the latest BIOS, I don't know...

No Events found!