Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 17th, 2016 18:00

USB drive keeps making disconnect noise

I'm on Windows 7 on a Latitude E6540 with one of Dell's 1TB USB 3 drives plugged in and it keeps making the disconnect noise (the Windows sound effect).

I've checked everything I can think of and not finding anything; how do I troubleshoot or fix this?

July 17th, 2016 22:00

Hi Dhinged, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Does it happen with any USB device? Please update the chipset drivers and BIOS and let us know how it goes. 

Support.euro.dell.com--enter service tag#--drivers and downloads--select operating system--install as suggested.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

380 Posts

July 17th, 2016 22:00

That happened to me with an external USB drive. It worked for quite a while and then it started randomly disconnecting. At some point I got some write errors and eventually decided to reformat it. It work for a while after that and then began randomly disconnecting again. In fact it would do it right in the middle of copying files. It is possible that its connection cable or the connection plug itself is faulty. You could try a different cable. if that doesn't work, then it could be the plug. If you try a different cable, make sure you get one with the proper connector at the end. If it is the plug itself or something else inside the drive, there is not much you can do with it. Since you are on Windows 7, there could also be issues with your USB 3 drivers. Did you try it on another PC? This thread has a lot of suggestions you could try:

Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting

JohnD

2 Posts

July 17th, 2016 23:00

Its happen due to some moisture issues or disk dislocated, you should place ur pendrive and all properly, else you have to remove the USB drive and change it, as its attached to your motherboard, you can visit any laptop repairer, who do it for you, i think it will charge you around 10$

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

This has happened on all USB-3 drives I've tried, there's no moisture anywhere, and they work just fine on other computers; I'm having to backup and restore from another computer going through the router network, it takes forever, I'd really like to know how to troubleshoot or fix the USB-3 ports on my laptop without having to send it to someone I'm not sure I can trust.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2016 09:00

I think what's happening is drives without a separate power cord are not getting enough power randomly, because when I plug in a drive with a separate power cord, it doesn't randomly disconnect.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the port for a power problem, but they're all USB-3 compatible; I'm using Dell's system restore from the pre-installed software with all the drivers and everything, and I've experienced other anomalies with this laptop, so I'm just not sure what to do.

No Events found!