Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 12:00

USB speakers not working on M17x R4

Just purchased a new pair of USB speakers from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140103&p_id=9746&seq=1&format=2

USB 2.0 Virtual Surround Sound Gaming Speakers - Touch Input - Black (9746)

When I first tried them out, I could tell right away that there was some sort of issue with the way this laptop is setup and how it handles audio output devices. It does not seem to recognize USB devices as a suitable output for audio. -.- Plug them in, they get recognized by windows, install their auto drivers or w/e, then no sound. Regular sound stops, and nothing from speakers. At least, that's how it was until I attempted to fix the problem, updating drivers as recommended by the endless sea of Dell's detterents attempting to prevent me from ever speaking to another living being for tech support. After performing a few optional windows updates that seems to be related to USB/other non security jumbo, and a few of dells recommended audio/usb driver updates. Nothing really changed, except now I no longer see the speakers listed in the device manager as "HiFiers" they are gone, they no longer attempt to install themselves when plugged in, and they are no longer present on the "Manage Audio Devices" window from control panel. Sound resumes as normal when they are plugged in now. I feel this was definitely 3 steps backwards for solving my issue. I am at a total loss here. This should be the most simple task imaginable, using plug and play USB speakers on a laptop.

Tried the speakers on another older Dell, I haven't the desire to go read the model atm, it's just an older work laptop my grandfather uses. They work great no problems.

Think I need someone with some deep insight into how these laptops were setup with the ungodly mind to prevent the decently common use of USB audio devices,

Thanks,

-James

P.S. the speakers have touch media controls on them, which all seem to communicate flawlessly with the laptop. Play/pause work with both VLC and windows media player. The volume controls work, though they are independant, they affect the speakers volume, not the computers. The speakers have a built in amp I believe.

(Windows 7 64x, Alienware M17x R4)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 18th, 2013 05:00

install their auto drivers or w/e, then no sound.

I wouldn't think they would require a driver to be installed,  but I am not familiar with auto drivers or w/e.

Think I need someone with some deep insight into how these laptops were setup with the ungodly mind to prevent the decently common use of USB audio devices,

Try the Alienware Club discussion board. If anyone has deep insight into that line it should be them.

The speakers have a built in amp I believe.

There seems to be very little info on those, at least I can't find any comprehensive specifications. They do have an amp that generates 4.8 watts per channel, however those are output wattage and do convey how much the amp consumes. Because the speakers draw their power from the usb port, there is a possibility that the speakers are not getting enough power -- perhaps enough to power on the electronics but not enough to drive the amplifier. I know you said they work on a different computer, but there are variances between models and even between usb ports on the same model, or maybe yours has another usb device that is sharing power. Just a thought.

No Events found!