Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2011 11:00

Unable to use fingerprint reader to log on to Windows 7 in Dell Latitude E6420

i have Dell Latitude E6420 with Windows 7 OS installed.

The driver for Biometric device is also installed. But windows is not finding any biometric device as shown in the following picture message.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 13th, 2011 14:00

ersujan,

Using Internet Explorer, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. Look under security. There you'll find your fingerprint software. You might have to use the XP or Vista drivers and install in the Compatibility mode

Rick

2 Posts

September 15th, 2011 23:00

Thanks  PudgyOne

I could install the driver for the hardware but still not working. I got the following message as shown in the figure below

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2011 03:00

ersujan,

Do you have Dell Control Point installed? That may be under applications.

Did you try right clicking on the biometric device, then left click check for updates?

Rick

September 16th, 2011 15:00

If you are using the WBF solution, then please follow these instructions:

Description (Brief External Description)

This is the Dell ControlVault Windows Biometric Framework (WBF) Driver supporting Integrated Built-in Fingerprint Reader devices in systems with Windows 7 Operating Systems.

Important Information

IMPORTANT: The stand-alone Dell ControlVault Windows Biometric Framework Driver cannot coexist with other Biometric Authentication Software Applications or Drivers. Therefore it is important to uninstall any Biometric Authentication Software if previously installed.  

(Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features)

Check and un-install the following components if present:

• Dell ControlPoint Security Manager

• Dell Data Protection | Access | Drivers

• Dell Data Protection | Access | Middleware

• Dell Data Protection | Access

• Any non-Dell Windows Biometric Framework Drivers or Applications

Dell ControlVault WBF components installation steps:

NOTE: Installation order is very important – use the following procedure, including reboots or the software will not function properly:

1. Download the following software packages and install in the order listed below:

a. Dell Data Protection | Access | Drivers Package

i. Double click package filename and select Custom installation Setup Type

ii. Uncheck the Dell ControlVault box

iii. Continue to follow the wizard installation instructions until completed

b. Dell ControlVault Windows Biometric Framework Driver package

i. Double click package filename and follow the wizard installation instructions

ii. Go to the C:\dell\drivers\RXXXXXX\USH folder and double click on CVHCI.msi and follow the wizard installation instructions until completed

iii. Reboot

c. Dell ControlVault Firmware

i. Double click package filename and follow the wizard installation instructions

ii. Go to C:\dell\drivers\RXXXXXX\firmware folder and double click on ushupgrade.exe and follow the wizard installation instructions

iii. In the pop up dialog window press the Start button

iv. When installation is completed press the Restart button. The system will reboot.

2. Enable ControlVault Windows Biometric Framework feature (Start->All Programs->Broadcom->USH Tools and click on ControlVault WBF

a. In pop up dialog window select Enable and the press the Set button.

b. Press the Exit button

c. Allow time for any windows updates to complete

Errata Data:

Windows Update may sometimes conflict with the installation of the Dell ControlVault Windows Biometric Framework driver installation and not allow proper installation. To identify if this occurs, go to Device Manager (Start->My Computer->Properties->Device Manager) and click on “Biometric Devices” and notice if there is a yellow exclamation mark (yellow bang) on the “ControlVault w/Fingerprint swipe sensor”. If this is so, right click on “ControlVault w/Fingerprint swipe sensor” and select Update Driver and choose “Browse my computer for driver software. Wait until Driver has been detected and installed (~30 secs).

Steps to run Fingerprint Management Application (FMA) User Interface:

1. Go to Windows Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Biometric Devices

2. Click on Change biometric settings

a. Select Biometrics on settings

b. Choose Allow users to log on to Windows and domain

c. Press Save Changes button

3. Click on Use your fingerprint with Windows

4. Follow wizard installation instructions to enroll your fingerprints(s)

5. Begin using fingerprint authentication feature by selecting the Fingerprint emblem at Logon. The first time it will ask you to enter your password to verify authentication.  Thereafter you can use just the fingerprint to logon.  A slow finger swipe is recommended. It may take a few seconds to fingerprint authenticate.

20 Posts

October 19th, 2012 17:00

Can I use the FP to log into website?

October 19th, 2012 17:00

Yes, try trail sample of TrueSuite Application. This App allows you to select fingers to open user  selected websites:

http://support.authentec.com/KnowledgeBase/KBview/tabid/843/ArticleId/298/Using-TrueSuite.aspx

20 Posts

November 8th, 2012 21:00

Thank you very much.

I just installed windows 8.  I will try to install the FP again.

1 Message

March 9th, 2013 08:00

Thanks Rocketman2011!
I've bought a Dell Precision M6700 a month ago, but couldn't get the fingerprint logon to work (using the default installed Control Vault software).
Searched all over the net until I find this thread.
I swapped the drivers for the M6700 compatble drivers and follwed all the steps to the letter.
After a dozen restarts it finally works!
One swipe and Windows boots!
Great job!

No Events found!