Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 22:00

Upgrade to latest drivers for Intel 945 Graphics Card to get Open GL

I installed Photoshop and wanted to enable Open GL so that I could use some of the features.  I found out that my graphics card an Intel 945 does support Open GL and that I just needed to download the latest drivers.

I went to Dell's web site and downloaded the latest drivers, they installed just fine but did not include support for Open GL.

So I went to Intel's web site and downloaded the latest drivers they had, which are much more current then the driver's offered on Dell's site.  I attempted to install but received an error that said.

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.  Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer.  Setup will now exit"

I had alredy done that but did some searching and found a Work Around on Intel's web site.  The work around explained how to download a ZIP file with the drivers and install it like it was being installed from a disk.  Using the device manager I went in to upgrade the drivers and recieved a message that said. 

"Windows has determined that the software for your device is up to date"

Windows is wrong because it is not up to date.

So I called Dell Support and got the runaround and they told me my computer was out of warranty and that they couldn't help me.  It's ridiculous that Dell limits my ability to update my drivers and yet won't provide me any support when I want to upgrade to a driver supplied by the original manufacturer.

At this point I did a little more searching and found that I needed to upgrade my Bios, so I did.  I now have A10 which is the latest version for my laptop an Inspiron E1405, with Windows Vista Premium 32 bit.

I tried all of the above processes again without luck.

I just want Open GL support for my Graphics Card that supports it.  Can anyone help me figure out how to do this, upgrade my drivers for Open GL support or do anything else for Open GL support.

Thanks

3.6K Posts

December 4th, 2008 13:00

Un-install the dell driver you have now for the 945(but DO NOT re-boot system yet),now go to intels site and try installing the driver ZIP file again,the way they explained how to install.Once installed then re-boot system and it should work,i hope.

If not post back and i will be glad to help with the install.

3.6K Posts

December 4th, 2008 16:00

Glad to hear it is working now,you should be able to correct this.go into the graphics adapter> property tab.Or go into BIOS and see if openGL is registered.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2008 16:00

Your solution worked great.  Thank You.  I now have the latest Intel drivers and my graphics properties show that it supports Open GL.  I can't get Photoshop to recognize it yet, but at least I got the drivers upgraded.  I will try to find a solution to get Photoshop recognizing the Open GL now.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2008 18:00

I went into the properties of the Graphics Adapter and there is OpenGL settings.  So I know that it's installed and supported.  I went into the Bios, hit F2 upon boot up and there was some Video information but nothing about Open GL at all.  I did upgrade to the latest BIOS from Dell.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop, no luck.  I sent an email to Adobe, I don't know what kind of response I will get.

3.6K Posts

December 4th, 2008 18:00

Just found this from photoshop,

If you do not turn on Enable OpenGL Drawing, then the GPU won't be accessed and Photoshop does not fail.Here are the plug-ins and how to install.

Important: If you install a new driver that solves the problem, remove this plug-in from the Plug-Ins folder.

On Windows:

Close Photoshop CS4.

Navigate to the Adobe Download site: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

Download the Adobe Photoshop CS4 GPU Optional Plug-ins file.

Double-click this file, and choose to unzip the files into a location you'll remember.

Optional: create a Windows restore point or back up your registry before you run these registry scripts.

Double-click the AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg file.

Note:
When you run this script, it makes a small change to your registry.

Restart Photoshop.

Note:

To remove this functionality, double-click the AllowOldGPUS_OFF_D.reg file.

Important: If you install a new driver that solves the problem, double-click the AllowOldGPUS_OFF_D.reg file.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for helping me out and finding so much information for me.  I am trying to Enable Open GL in Photoshop but the option is Greyed Out.  It says that I need to update my drivers and/or my graphics card.  I know my graphics card supports Open GL so I updated the drivers and thought that would fix the problem. 

Screen shot here

http://picasaweb.google.com/tygut1/Desktop#5276153987030033282

Again, thank you so much for helping me, your information has been really helpful.

So I tried what you said above, with the new registry entries and that didn't work either.  It stayed greyed out.

3.6K Posts

December 4th, 2008 20:00

You are most welcome,that is what the forum is for.

O.k you said you had the OpenGL listings in the display adapter,go back into the display adapter again and select the OpenGL options and see if you can enable them from there?...

Edit: I also found something in the search that suggested you might need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

6 Posts

December 5th, 2008 19:00

I didn't see anything in the settings that says to enable or disable OpenGL.  Just different settings related to different features of Open GL.  I tried to install .NET Framework 2.0 but it said it was already installed as part of the operating system.

Not sure what to try next.  I still haven't heard anything from Adobe.

3.6K Posts

December 5th, 2008 20:00

All of my searches have come to a hault on my end also,i did find one post of a user getting openGL working with the 945 but,he/she did not reply as to how it was accomplished?...

I am still searching on this though,i will update,edit this post if i find anything.

3.6K Posts

December 5th, 2008 22:00

Found this driver supports OpenGL on the 945, http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/developing-software-for-intel-graphics-technology/topic/60448/ .

Intel® Chipset 945G, 945GM

Feature Benefit

Video Memory

Enables more realistic game play and provides greater

resolution and color depth settings to the system’s video

and graphics subsystem

Up to 256 MB Up to 256 MB Up to 256 MB Up to 384 MB Up to 384 MB Up to 384 MB

DirectX* Support

Standardized programming interface provides a much

faster interface to the system’s graphics than the standard

Windows* functions. Used in most modern games.

DirectX* 9.0c DirectX* 9.0c DirectX* 9.0c DirectX* 9.0c DirectX* 10

3 DirectX* 10

OpenGL Support

Widely used programming interface that accelerates 2D

and 3D performance in PCs

1.4 +

Extensions

1.4 +

Extensions

1.4 +

Extensions

OpenGL 1.5 OpenGL 1.5 OpenGL 2.0

Hardware T&L

Enables improvements in gaming performance and

increases the number of games supported

No No No YES

4 YES 4 YES

Shader Model

Support

Enables complex animations and visual effects in games

with realistic shading, lighting, and textures

6 Posts

December 6th, 2008 09:00

I downloaded the driver that they were talking about.  But it doesn't have the 945 listed on the chipset when I went to install it.  So I didn't install it.

3.6K Posts

December 6th, 2008 11:00

O.k,at least you still have the updated intel driver still installed.I do not know why this is hard to get straightened out because the driver you have is listed as having OpenGL support.Hopefully you will get a reply from adobe soon,or we get it figured out  eventually.

1 Message

December 14th, 2008 11:00

I am having this same issue. I am using XP Pro SP3 with the same chipset, intel 945. I just updated the driver version from Intel's site using the method you both described above but cannot get Photoshop to recognize the change.

Also, I tried installing the optional GPU plug-in for CS4 to no avail.

Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Thank you very much.

Jeff

3.6K Posts

December 14th, 2008 12:00

I have been searching a solution out since OP had the problem installing and have came up with nothing,there are no solutions thus far that i can find or see.Not sure if OP has recieved a reply back from Adobe about it yet either.

73 Posts

January 28th, 2009 18:00

Hi

another one with the exact same problem....:emotion-7:

Did anyone get this to work yet?

What are the best settings in the openGL window? I have no idea what they do...should i just pick the default?

have a nice day

No Events found!