Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2010 10:00

User Profile Cannot Be Loaded

A few days ago I received the message "The User Profile Service' services failed logon" "user profile cannot be loaded". This message appeared after I typed in my login password. I was unable to go any further because the computer at that point was stuck in a loop. I would hit the 'Ok' button and the computer would say "Logging Off" then go right back to the login password prompt. I ended up having to shut down and restart in Safe Mode. At that point I did a System Restore and the computer has worked fine which by the way is a Studio 1747. I received the message again today but tried the password again and it went through. I immediately turned the computer off and on again and it worked fine. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? Thanks. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

A hard drive that's dying -- with bad sectors - is the usual cause.  To verify, press F12 at powerup, boot to the Dell diagnostics, let the tests run and then follow to the 32-bit diagnostics thereafter.  Run an extended (takes a couple of hours) test on the hard drive.

1 Message

Hi,

System restore is not a permanent resolution to this issue. Please follow the following steps to resolve this permanently.

1.       Turn off computer

2.       Turn on computer and press F8 while you see the DELL logo

3.       On the Windows Advanced Options select Safe Mode

4.       Open the Start Menu and type Regedit on the Start Search field

NOTE: If unable to boot to OS even in safe mode then boot to WinRE, go to command prompt - type regedit.exe to perform below steps:

5.       Go to the following entry:

a.        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profile List

6.       There you will find 5 Numerical entries after you click on "Profile List"

7.     On the “.BAK” file you will find an entry with ProfileImagePath with the name of the user.

8.     Delete the repeated entry that does not contain “.BAK”

9.     Right click on the other entry and select Rename. Delete the extension .BAK for the original entry.

10.  Exit Regedit

This should take care of the issue and after doing these steps you will not face any such concern again.

Thanks

11.  Restart computer.

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 04:00

hello. i had the same problem. that "logon failure" problem. i tried these steps and it helps, i got to enter my main desktop account. but the thing is all my data has lost. how do i retrieve my data? or is it my data has permanently lost?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 9th, 2014 05:00

The data should still be there in the \users folder -- you will have to take ownership of the folder to read the files.  How this is done depends on the OS installed - post the OS and version (Home, Pro, etc.) if you need assistance doing this.

Also -- if you have not done so, you SHOULD run an extended hard drive diagnostic (F12 at powerup).  The most common cause of a corrupt user profile is a drive that has developed bad sectors and is failing.

1 Message

March 5th, 2016 16:00

I did this and was able to change my password but now I have lost files and pictures. Can I get them back?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2016 15:00

No one answered your question I see and a friend just had the same problem. The only thing that saved him is as I told him long ago use your gmail for everything, no matter what computer you sign in on if you sign in with your gmail all your data that you have saved to the account, pictures, passwords, cards, notes etc will be restored. Otherwise, you may have lost all.

No Events found!