Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2010 15:00

User profile service failed to login

Hello

I am having a big problem with my laptop. I have a dell studio 17 that is about 1.5 years old. It came with windows vista but I have upgraded to windows 7.

When I try to log in it says "The user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

So I can not log on... Though I can log onto a guest account, which I am on now. I have searched this online and found that I should go into safe mode and do a system restore.  The problem is, hitting F8 does not start safe mode. My only options it looks like is F2 for setup and F12 for boot mode or something like that. Neather one I could find a way to get into safe mode.

I also tried to get into safe mode by doing msconfig in the guest account but when I do it, it says "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." And a similar thing happens when try to open up system restore.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2010 15:00

Start with the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup.  Let the tests run, then boot to the 32-bit diagnostics and run an extended hard drive test.

December 2nd, 2010 14:00

Start with the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup.  Let the tests run, then boot to the 32-bit diagnostics and run an extended hard drive test.

Could you give more explanation on it? Thanks very much!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 18:00

Holding the D key through powerup will do the same thing.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2014 18:00

my f keys do not respond, is there anything else?

No Events found!