Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

4 Posts

August 25th, 2008 00:00

Using Inspiron 1501 as I-net hub?

Hello Dell Community!

I'm terrible with openers, so I will get down to brass tacks.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook with Windows XP SP3 installed. I connect via the wifi card in my computer to linksys router which is connected to my DSL modem. I've been wanting to connect my Xbox 360 to the internet, however, I don't exactly have the spare cash to waste on another wireless connecter for my Xbox, and I cannot rearange my room to hardwire the Xbox to the router. I was curious if I could use my laptop as a hub for the internet and then wire that to the xbox itself via an ethernet cord.

I googled around but my results were more miss than hit --I suppose I was using the wrong tags to define my search.

Anyway, the way I had imagined it would work (possibly an over simplification) is as such:

My computer connects to the internet via the WiFi card, I then plug an ethernet cord from the laptop to the Xbox's ethernet port and somehow route the internet access out of my ethernet port to the Xbox.

Is this at all possible? If so, how?

If that doesn't exactly work, but there is another way around, I would be more than willing to hear it. I am most interested in saving money; if worse comes to worse, I suppose I can drop 30 greenbacks on a cheap usb wireless adapter, but before I do that I figured I would ask around.

Thank you,

Josh. 

August 25th, 2008 00:00

I'm not that bright...

I found the answer. For those curious:

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/support/xbox/connect/ 

August 25th, 2008 01:00

Okay, well, it turns out I have another question...

My family's computer has been having troubles connecting to our wireless network for about a week and a half now. The connection will always remain as "Limited to no connectivity," the latter of the options being true: it has absolutely no connection --or atleast appears that way. My original thought was that something had been acquired in the past days, so I rolled back my system to a previous date that I remember perfectly the internet connection worked fine. However, this did nothing. My next thought was that there was an issue with the USB port in which the Wireless Network Adapter (Belkin) was plugged. I found nothing of the sort when I switched the connection to various other USB ports. I next figured that the Belkin was damaged or otherwise wasn't working; so I did a diagnostics check and found nothing wrong with it on my family's desktop. I then plugged it into my laptop and tried it out to no avail, but I didn't really test it that strenuously.

Now, I set up this shared internet connection with my laptop connected to my Xbox to see if it would work, and it does --everything that way is running fine. After doing this I had this brilliant idea of plugging my laptop into the desktop and sharing a connection that way. I set it all up, ran the configuration wizards and was able to get a signal from the computer that the network cable was in fact connected to the computer. However, it still registers as Limited to no Connectivity, and for some reason, it's the same problem as before, just without the wireless adapter. 

The desktop is a Dell Dimension 2400, past that I can't give much specs. I was wondering if there was an internal hardware issue that is unresolvable, or something of that sort.

I hope this is fixable, because I cannot continue to lend my laptop to my various siblings and parents in order to allow everybody internet --something will eventually go awry.

Anyway, I apologize for such an extensive diatribe, so thank you for reading,

Josh. 

No Events found!