Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

July 12th, 2008 22:00

Using svideo to connect a DLP projector??

Here's a silly question - does anyone know whether you can use the svideo connection to connect a DLP projector?  I want to use my Inspiron 1420 to show PowerPoint presentations on a Toshiba TDP SC35.  The projector has RGB, svideo, and composite connections.  RGB is the usual connection for LCD and DLP projectors, but the Inspiron doesn't have an RGB connection...

Can I use the svideo to connect the two?  Or does anyone have another idea of how I can connect. 

P.S.  I tried svideo but nothing happened...If I can use that connection, do I need a driver to get svideo to work??

I'd appreciate ANY ideas or suggestions!!!

3.6K Posts

July 12th, 2008 23:00

Use the S-Video,then click start>all programs>accessories>connect to a projector.

3.6K Posts

July 13th, 2008 01:00

Sorry,i was assuming you have Vista?...

I am not sure where this feature is for XP?..

5 Posts

July 13th, 2008 01:00

Thanks - I don't have an option in my accessories menu to "connect to a projector"...

Do I have to have everything connected and set up for that to show up??

984 Posts

July 13th, 2008 03:00

I think the following procedure will work using an S-video to S-video cable. Note: For "TV monitor" substitute "projector".

Make sure you reboot the computer after connecting the projector.

Use the Display Properties menu to enable the TV monitor as a display device for your computer.

1.  Click Start → Control Panel.

2.  Click the category for appearance and themes. (The name of this option may vary for different versions of the operating systems.)

3.  Double-click Display. The Display Properties menu appears. Note that tabs on this menu include:

•Themes

•Screen Saver

• Settings

•Desktop

•Appearance

4.   Click Settings.

The Settings screen shows two display monitors labelled 1 and 2. If you have not successfully hooked the TV to your computer, one of the monitors will appear grayed out and you will not be able to select it. Recheck your computer-to-TV connections.

5.  Under the Display: section, select the appropriate option for using either a single display or multiple displays, ensuring that the display settings are correct for your selection.

5 Posts

July 13th, 2008 03:00

Thanks. I had tried that previously and it didn't make any difference.  I also connected everything and rebooted - which also didn't make a difference.  My projector seems to recognize that a computer is attached now, but the laptop does not seem to be sending out a signal.  Do I need to do something to enable to svideo port??

984 Posts

July 13th, 2008 04:00

BTW be sure to select the S-video input on the projector.

984 Posts

July 13th, 2008 04:00

Try this:

1. Connect the cable and reboot

2. Open Control Panel

3. Double click Display and click the Settings tab

4. Click Advanced

5. Click the tab for your video card

6. In the display devices section, select the appropriate option for multiple displays.

5 Posts

July 13th, 2008 05:00

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  On the chance that I needed an updated video driver or updated BIOS, I downloaded both of those and then re-tried the suggestion for setting up multiple monitors.  Not sure which one worked, but after rebooting (which I had done two other times), everything finally started working properly.  Yeah!!!!!

Thanks!

984 Posts

July 13th, 2008 05:00

Great!! S-video to S-video should be a breeze. Thank you for feedback.
No Events found!