Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 15th, 2016 01:00

VIDEO_SCHEDULER. . . BSOD . . . Video Driver Stops responding - Solved (I hope anyway)

I hope this helps anyone else out there with a similar problem. I have an XPS 13 9350 and have been suffering greatly from strange happenings with my video, more specifically, or at least so I thought, with the Intel 520 chipset. The video was crashing and restarting constantly and I was getting many BSOD's with VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT HANDLED.

The only way I could run the computer was by disabling the video card (Control panel - Device Manager - Expand the Display Adapter - Right Click Intel HD Graphics - Disable) which allowed the computer to work OK but as I use graphics intensive software it was a big problem.

After reading a LOT of posts I thought it might have something to do with the BIOS update that I installed but when I followed the instructions to roll back the BIOS I could not find any that worked. In frustration I "chatted" to DELL tech support who claimed (of course) that they had never heard of such a problem and suggested I update to the latest Intel driver (which I already had) or update the BIOS which I also already had.

So I tried re-installing the BIOS from here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=25F29&fileId=3551114498&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9350-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

When I ran the app the computer screen said "Restarting" and just sat there. This is common with my computer so normally I do a hard reset but this time I thought I would wait and see if it actually restarted and after 10 - 15 minutes it actually did and installed the BIOS, hopefully, correctly.

My computer now seems to be running OK. It's only a couple of hours but I would not have got a couple of minutes out of it before this. FYI I am also running version 20.19.15.4454 of the Intel 520.

Good luck!

Rick 

August 15th, 2016 11:00

Glad to hear that the issue doesn't occur anymore. However, if it does occur, you could update the chipset drivers as well along with deleting the video drivers from the device manager and installing a fresh copy rather than overwriting the existing set of drivers. Most often the Intel driver update utility get you the latest drivers than whats posted on the Dell Support page.

10 Posts

August 16th, 2016 01:00

NOT Solved and I have now tried everything, I can't even re-install windows (save files) without getting the BSOD. I have uninstalled the video drivers, tried to install the updated chipset - and I don't know if it worked or not but it's still showing in my list of updates (from DELL Support) along with updates for completely different computers. Updated the BIOS again and reinstalled the latest Video drivers. The only way I can use the computer is by disabling the display adaptor in the Device Manager. Any ideas?

August 18th, 2016 02:00

You try three things. Firstly disable the Intel display adapter, then proceed to uninstall and delete the video driver. Then install the same using the Intel update utility. Secondly, you can try initiating a system restore to a point that where the issue did not exist. Thirdly use a Recovery media to reinstall the OS. While trying any recovery option, please backup the data on the system and then proceed.

10 Posts

August 18th, 2016 05:00

Tried all of those things and it crashed while re-installing Windows 10 and continually crashes when starting on within seconds of startup. I now believe the problem to be with the MB or Video card. I am taking it to a service center for repair after which I will probably sell it and get a more reliable laptop. This is the second significant problem I have had with this computer since i purchased it.

1 Message

August 19th, 2016 06:00

My dell screen is not coming and is blank when I on it

August 21st, 2016 00:00

Is the computer under warranty? Please send me a private message by hovering the pointer over my name and share the service tag , registered owner's name and email address along so that I can give you the best option. Also have you tried installing windows using a recovery media i.e from a CD or a bootable USB.

August 21st, 2016 03:00

@AGYEMANG.K 

Are you able to get to the Dell logo. If so please try the diagnostics using the following steps 

1. Shutdown the computer
  2. Hold the 'Fn' key and turn on the computer
  3. Let go of the 'Fn' key after 2 seconds

Let me know if you get any errors or if it turns out to be fine.

No Events found!