Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2011 23:00

Volume control not showing up on screen? Dell Inspirion 1545

You know how when you turn the volume up or down the little bar shows up on your display? Mine isn't doing that anymore and I have no idea why or how to get it back. Please help!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 13th, 2011 04:00

It might have to do with Dell Quickset. Look on the taskbar and see if you have the Dell Quickset icon there. It's in the shape of a blue Q with a yellow tail sticking out of it. Click the icon (on some versions you must right click it) and uncheck 'disable onscreen volume meter.'

If the icon is missing look under Start/All Programs and see if you have the Dell Quickset program. Follow the arrow to the word 'Quickset' and click on it and the 'Q' icon should appear on the taskbar.

If you don't have the Quickset program you can download it from the Inspiron 1545 downloads page under 'Applications'.

Quickset's main function is to start the power management wizard; however, clicking the icon lets you enable or disable the Fn keys for volume and screen brightness, and it is necessary for Media Direct to function.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2011 23:00

I also have Vista if that matters at all

3 Posts

November 13th, 2011 13:00

That worked perfectly, thanks so much!

1 Message

April 5th, 2012 18:00

Im having this problem now on my dell studio 1555 windows 7 64bit.  cant see the volume, screen controls on screen

4.4K Posts

April 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi pwizz,

Welcome to the Community,

Try installing the Dell QuickSet utility from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 9th, 2013 04:00

I was wondering if I could get the same feature zee_spo was asking about for my Dell XPS l502x, windows 7?

Go to the downloads page for the XPS L502x

> select your operating system Win 7 in the dropdown menu.

> expand the Applications category.

> download Dell Quickset.

If you don't already have the Realtek audio driver installed, do that before installing Quickset.

August 9th, 2013 04:00

I was wondering if I could get the same feature zee_spo was asking about for my Dell XPS l502x, windows 7?

August 9th, 2013 19:00

Thanks so much!  Didn't expect such a fast reply!!

7 Posts

November 6th, 2013 00:00

Two related problems. 

(1) Every time I reboot, Quickset disappears.  I have an XPS 14 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The Dell support site says I should use

10.15.017, A04, so that's what I'm running.  (The link you put up on this forum leads to a different version, by the way.)

(2) When I install it as and admin, it's supposed to ripple down to all the non-admin users, but it doesn't.  Each login has to install it themselves every time the laptop is rebooted! (see #1).

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 6th, 2013 09:00

I have an XPS 14

I see 2 current versions for their 2 XPS 14 models:

10.15.017, A04 for the XPS 14 (L421x) model -- with 3 additional versions listed under Previous Versions.

10.0.01, A02 for the XPS 14 (no modifier) model -- with 2 additional versions listed under Previous Versions.

If this is a new problem you could try using Windows System Restore if one of those 5 versions doesn't help, or restore the laptop to the original factory configuration by using Dell's Factory Image Restore.

When I install it as and admin, it's supposed to ripple down to all the non-admin users, but it doesn't.  Each login has to install it themselves every time the laptop is rebooted!

That might be a configuration problem in Windows. I have had trouble figuring out permissions in my laptop with Win 7. Try the Windows OS section of the forum.

7 Posts

November 6th, 2013 21:00

Thanks, mine is an L421x.  but I don't understand why I would want to use an old version that was buggy, broken or missing capabilities -- otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered updating it.  Doesn't anyone at Dell know how to install their own software?  My laptop is only about 6 weeks old, and suddenly this application -- or parts of it -- stop running.  It's important for more than visual indicators of brightness and loudness.  It controls a bunch of things that help optimize battery and power use and I don't know what else.  When you talk to someone from Dell sales, they tell you about this key piece of software that only Dell has.

7 Posts

November 6th, 2013 21:00

Sorry, typo.  My XPS 14  is an L421z.

7 Posts

November 6th, 2013 22:00

Sorry, another typo ... it's an L412z. (brain problems.)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 7th, 2013 05:00

it's an L412z

10.13.010, A01

In Dell's nomenclature the short name for the XPS L412z is XPS 14z, not XPS 14.

March 11th, 2014 16:00

Hello Jim, 
I found this forum back in October when I had to reinstall all my stuff onto a new hard drive. I installed quickset on my inspiron as you suggested, but since then have been having an issue where the window goes out of focus sometimes if I press Caps Lock. I've read that could be caused by quickset, but I never had this problem before (although with my hard drive from Dell I also never saw the quickset icon, so is there possibly a different program that was accomplishing the same thing?)

No Events found!