Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

November 20th, 2008 02:00

Vostro 1710 Firewire Port

Installed Xp with SP3 and all the drivers, but the Firewire port is using the Microsoft driver instead of the Dell driver.

Is the Firewire driver part of the chipset driver software or included in the SDMMC driver software, I have installed both.

I tryed to import some video from my JVC DV camera using the firewire connection and although it controls the camera fine, the video does not work properly at all.

How do i get windows to use the correct Dell firewire driver instead of the Microsoft one?

Thanks.

4.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2008 07:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

Yes - firewire drivers are installed with the chipset drivers.

Since the ones you've tried already aren't being recognised, try these Intel Chipset v9.1.0.1007 WHQL drivers, to see if they make any difference?

109 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 13:00

If you can't get the firewire going and the laptop is still under warranty be sure to get with Dell. They may need to replace the motherboard.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 15:00

I downloaded and installed the above driver with same results, its still using the Microsoft drivers, is there any diagnostic software that can test that the firewire port is working correctly or tell me what Firefire chipset is used ?

The port does sortof work in that it can control the video camera, its the video that freezes.

The camera does work fine with the external PCI card on my old laptop.

Everything else on the Vostro is working fine under Xp.

Thanks.

4.6K Posts

November 27th, 2008 08:00

... is there any diagnostic software that can test that the firewire port is working correctly...

Other than running Dell's diagnostic tools, I'm afraid not :emotion-6:

But whatever result the diagnostics tests show, I'd suggest it's time to contact tech support for further advice?

If they can't diagnose the problem over the phone, they'll arrange a vist from a technician/engineer (assuming your laptop is still under warranty of course?).

No Events found!