Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2012 13:00

Vostro 3550 5 Beep error code

When turned on I get 5 beeps, pause, 5 beeps...

Computer starts ok, diagnostics don't find a problem, and once Windows 7 is half loaded it stops beeping and seems to be working ok. I could not find any info on the 5 beep error code in the manual or searching the Dell site.

Anyone have an idea what can cause this? 

Computer is out of warranty.

Tom.

953 Posts

August 31st, 2012 22:00

Hi Tom,

For Vostro 3550, 5 Beeps indicates Real-time clock failure. Replacing the CMOS battery should fix the problem. If the problem persists, this is a system board (motherboard) failure and needs a replacement.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

3 Posts

September 4th, 2012 10:00

Yes it was the CMOS battery.

Not sure why it failed in just over a year, and it's a pain to get to (13 screews and 4 ribon cables).

But the computer is now beep free, thanks for the help.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2012 02:00

Hi, i'm having the same issue with the laptop. When i have pressed the power button, then the screen is just blank. After a few seconds, the laptop starts beeping with 4 beeps and pause, 4 beeps and pause, and continuous until i press power button again. . . .pls help.........

953 Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

Hi nickguok,

As you posted for a thread on Vostro 3550, I assume you have the same laptop. 4 beeps on startup for this system model indicate RAM Read/Write failure.

1. Ensure that no special memory module exists.
  2. Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer.
  3. If the problem persists, possible memory failure.

In addition to the above steps you can try reseating the memory modules, at times it helps. To find steps on how to reseat the memory modules the Service Manual of the laptop (http://bit.ly/YVmiFk).

Do reply with results.

1 Message

March 17th, 2013 23:00

My Vostro 1550 is doing the 5 beep thing too. Can you please tell me what type of battery it is so I can buy a replacement. Also the service manual does not refer to a CMOS battery except where the beep codes are explained. The manula does refer to a "coin-cell" battery - is this the same thing?

Many thanks

Jock

1 Message

May 6th, 2013 16:00

Hi!

For now, I don't want to put another CMOS battery. How to disable this beeps?! It's really annoying!

I have a Vostro 3550 and my laptop have the same problem....

My doubts is...if my CMOS battery failure why my clock keeps showing the time...why my clock don't go back to 12:00? My motherboard needs a replacement? I bought my laptop to one year!

Thanks!

2 Posts

September 13th, 2013 19:00

I am having the same problem with my Dell Vostro 3350 laptop.  Where do you buy the CMOS battery and how easy is it to access?  You mention 13 screws and 4 ribbon cables?  

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 13th, 2013 23:00

Hi laverbob,

Yes, 5 Beeps indicates Real-time clock failure. Replacing the CMOS battery should fix the problem. If the problem persists, this is a system board (motherboard) failure and needs a replacement. You can purchase CMOS battery from Local Computer Store or Electronic Store. You will need to ask for CR-2032 battery.

You can refer to Pg no.61 in the link below for removing and replacing CMOS battery on your system. Please contact a local technician for replacing it.

http://bit.ly/16SrOcC

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

September 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

What does 3 beeps mean? I get 3 beeps when switching on and the screen is blank..

Regards

2 Posts

September 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

Thanks.  I bought the battery, but due to my work schedule, I was unable to change the CMOS battery as you recommended. But now the beeping has stopped without me doing anything!  Should I still replace the battery, or just leave it alone? 

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi newton777,

3 Beep code on Vostro 3550 indicates system board failure. However, I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if you face same issue with the computer.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to switch ON the system.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 23:00

Hi laverbob,

I would like you to check the system date in the computer. If it’s resetting every time you switch OFF and switch ON then you will have to replace the CMOS battery in the system. If the system is working fine with correct system date and time then you can keep the CMOS battery as a backup for near future.

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi I have a Vostro 3550 BTS which I bought in February 2012.  I purchased a 3Yr ProSupport and Next Business Day On-Site Service when I bought the laptop.  For the last 6 months most times when I switch on, it beeps 3 lots of 5 beeps.  What is wrong? thanks.

1 Message

September 9th, 2014 10:00

HI,

When powering on my Dell Vostro 3550 I get 5 loud beeps, pause, 5 loud beeps...5...5...  Once the home screen begins to appear the 5 beeps decrease in volume but continue to deep faintly the entire time that im on the computer.

Should I also replace the CMOS battery? 

No Events found!