Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2012 19:00

Vostro 3550 Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader software incompatible with Windows 8

I just downloaded the newly released Windows 8 iso and ran the compatibility test. All of the hardware is supported in some manner although there is mention of getting new drivers from Dell. However, the fingerprint reader is listed as incompatible with Windows 8. I went to Digital Persona's home page and they no longer support consumer products. Bottom line is, I bout a machine from Dell that's less than 2 years old and is loaded with a piece of software that is no longer supported by the vendor. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative software that will allow the fingerprint reader to function with Windows 8?

Thanks,

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2012 16:00

Did you try the Validity Sensor (VFS5011) Driver?

Rick

677 Posts

October 27th, 2012 04:00

Hi jsmorada,

I am sorry for the inconvinience caused. Yes, Digital Persona has stopped supporting consumer products and there is no Windows 8 software released by them. There are a lot of fingerprint reader softwares available on the Internet which can be used on the system to make use of the reader.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

13 Posts

October 28th, 2012 10:00

Harish,

I find your answer to be unacceptable, especially considering the fact that the machine is less than a year old and is capable of supporting Windows 8 in everything else. Also, It appears as though Digital Persona had already stopped their support for the consumer market while Dell was including it in the Vostro production image. Dell has the responsibility to support their products by providing driver updates, so please escalate this  issue. In the meantime, I'm going to contact my partner rep to get some answers as well.

Thank You,

Jon

6 Posts

October 28th, 2012 10:00

Hi Harish,

Same issue here on a Vostro 3350 running Windows 8 Pro. While I understand that drivers come from hardware manufacturers, on the other hand I tend to agree with Jon that Dell cannot afford letting customers down. Please flag up this issue because the Vostro line has been advertised as being ideal for business use and the lack of the fingerprint reader may be a dealbreaker. (My device is just over 1 year old!!!)

In your response you mentioned that  'there are a lot of fingerprint readers on the internet... to make use of the reader'. In fact, the problem is that the reader does not even show up as a biometric device under Devices & Printers in Control Panel (which is clearly a driver issue).

If you are aware of any workaround available, please point me to the right place.

Thanks,

Mihaly

373 Posts

October 28th, 2012 11:00

Sorry if I'm wrong, but the driver to install the fingerprint driver is not the validate sensor? I think that independent of program fingerprint reader that used. I THINK ONLY

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2012 14:00

In the same boat with a Vostro 3450. It's not working at all. In the beginning (after the upgrade process) it showed up as a login option and prompted to scan an enrolled fingerprint - sadly thought none of my fingers were recognized .. I wen't to the control Panel >  Biometrics and tried to access fingerprint storage, it threw an error and crashed the "two palm" interface. And from now it won't even detect the biometric device.. http://puu.sh/1jP4n even though the device is regognized in Device manager: http://puu.sh/1jP3y

I should point out that the driver for Windows 7 on the support page is incorrect. It's for a different product of biometrics device and won't work for the reader installed in Vostro 3450. I had to google around to find a Windows_WBF_TEK_4_3_34_0_Digital_Persona_FMA driver which worked in Windows 7 .. but now doesn't in Windows 8.

Also after upgrading to WIndows 8 and upgrading my BIOS to A13 the sleep/wake functionality is broken (even though the A13 changelog claims to fix sleep-related issues) .. my machine just wakes with black screen (no image, no backlight) and sits there until hard-reset by holding the power button. A laptop computer without sleep ?  Annoying ... !!!

373 Posts

October 28th, 2012 15:00

I have the same problem. I have windows 7 ultimate x64 and I don't get to use the fingerprint

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2012 15:00

Harish is correct, DigitalPersona stopped support for the fingerprint reader software.

If the drivers were installed in the correct order, How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order, you may see something listed under Biometric devices.

When I first upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, I used Authentec AES2810 (Fingerprint Reader W7 64-bit) but I cannot remember if I installed the software in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

I found this information HERE

There is an add-on called Fingerfox SE, latest version is 2.20.2. This add-on, in conjunction with DigitalPersona personal, will resolve the problem. In FireFox disable DigitalPersona extension. When you go to a website with a login screen, once you click the icon on the bottom right you will get the fingerfox popup. DO NOT ENTER YOUR CREDENTIALS IN THIS POPUP, instead swipe your finger on the figerprint reader which will activate the Digital Persona utility. Enter your credentials in Digital Persona personal and they will be transferred to FingerFox.

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Just had a glance through this thread. Not sure if the DigitalPersona Personal Fingerprint 6.X applies to this system or not. Please see here for an update.

373 Posts

I think that it clarify your doubt

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You see, the problem is .. even if you end up installing a somewhat working driver .. it just won't work. You cant add your data to the credential storage system. http://puu.sh/1jRB8

When you start enrolling your fingerprints it tells you how, but the moment you swipe it says "No device connected" (how the hell did it know that I had swiped if it's not connected then?) You can proceed to the next screen and this appears http://puu.sh/1jRwj .. lets say I want to enroll my right index finger...  http://t.co/7gq5xrv

Cool, 2 out of 4 attempts needed were successful ... let us continue ...  http://puu.sh/1jR4Z

Well, what a shame .. it crashed the entrollment utility on the 3rd entrollment attempt ..

Opening up DigitalPersona Personal results in the software asking to connect the fingerprint reader ..

What do we do ? I feel left out completely ...

373 Posts

In my case, doesn't appear the option Biometrics on Windows after that I installed windows 7 ultimate x64

3 Posts

October 30th, 2012 17:00

Hi Jon,

I was facing exactlly the same problem until Dell released a new driver for the Fingerprint reader :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-3550?driverId=3FJM6&fileId=3081912729&osCode=W864#OldVersion

After download and install this driver, I have reinstalled Digital Persona software and everything is working fine.

Make sure you have a backup of  your data before reinstall the software.

Regards,

Fernando

2 Posts

November 9th, 2012 03:00

I had the same problem with fingerprint and afther long search I found the drivers on the original CD that came with my  Vostro 3560. After installation fingerprint works without any problems on Windows 8.

I upload zip file with this drivers if any one would like to check.

speedy.sh/.../Dell-Personal-Fingerprint-Software.zip  85MB

Regards,

Michael

November 15th, 2012 12:00

There are a lot of fingerprint reader softwares available on the Internet which can be used on the system to make use of the reader.

Like what? Can you post links? I never found them... Thanks.

No Events found!