Highlighted
staff1703
Bronze

Vostro 3550 with Switchable AMD Radeon HD3550M

Jump to solution

I've got Vostro 3550 that I bought to improve my 3D entertainment. The problem is that I feel like I would have bought a computer from 1999 not from 2011. It looks like graphics switching doesn't work at all. There is a proof:

Cinebench OpenGL ratio is almost the same on ATI and on Intel Graphics (on Intel it's even better). What can I do? Driver is in version:8.811.1.5000.

Screen from Cinebench: http://imageshack.us/f/810/vostro3550opengl.jpg/

0 Kudos
42 Replies
ochilan
Copper

Re: Vostro 3550 with Switchable AMD Radeon HD3550M

Jump to solution

I recently bought a Vostro 3350 with a Radeon 6470M and found that OpenGL applications don't seem to be (currently) supported by the switchable drivers at all.

After some investigation I found this fine print on the AMD homepage for switchable graphics: "...full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be)." - "As the case may be"?

This is completely ridiculous, of course. I really hope that this will be resolved soon in an upcoming driver release.

0 Kudos
staff1703
Bronze

Jump to solution

That explains all, but it doesn't mean that I should say "Oh, OK, so everything is clear now, let's come along with that". I didn't check the page about switching technology, but about AMD HD 6630M and there is very strict information that OpenGL is supported without any note that on switchable graphics it may not be. I really don't care about graphic switching - there couldn't be that function for me at all especially that it makes my GPU out of important functions...

0 Kudos
ochilan
Copper

Jump to solution

I've written to support about the state of the AMD driver and just received a trivial response with the driver download locations. They also said I may try to install the regular AMD drivers (which I already did) but AMD explicitly says on their download page that switchable graphics on Intel chipsets is not supported by their drivers. So it's clearly Dell's responsibility to offer new drivers.

0 Kudos
staff1703
Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, I sent them links that you've put here, with an explanation that I don't agree with AMD argumentation that on switchable drivers some features like OpenGL doesn't work. When I bought this notebook Dell didn't write in specification: Graphic Card: AMD Switchable Card. They wrote there is AMD Radeon HD6630M so I was looking for specification of this card. I found that there is OpenGL 4.1 support. If my card supports it, I want to have drivers working with it, or I want to have a choice to turn off this completely unnecessary Intel HD in BIOS.

0 Kudos
shtraue
Bronze

Jump to solution

Just bought Vostro 3550. It's a great machine, but had I know that having both Intel and AMD graphics adapters would be so troublesome and no way to enable only ATI one in BIOS settings, I would've searched for an alternative product.

Also, Dell's own graphics driver updates are broken. Here's what I did today:

I went to my Dell support page, downloaded Intel HD Graphics driver 8.15.10.2361, A03, which is an upgrade to the factory supplied driver that I had, and installed it.

First when I started driver setup it complained that currently installed drivers are newer, including Intel audio drivers, but as I have compared file versions of the installed files and files in the update and found that graphics drivers are definitely more recent in the update, I dismissed this.

I went ahead anyway and installed the update. Now after the reboot the ATI graphics adapter was gone, device manager did not have it listed (there was just some kind of a brandless standard adapter instead, I recall), and I had to reinstall ATI drivers after updating the Intel ones... And now, I do not know where to put finger on it, but switchable graphics settings have been acting kinda funky... few times I have not been able to add new programs by browsing to them, and other times I have been able to do so.

BTW anyone eloquent and persuasive up to starting a thread on

http://www.ideastorm.com

so that Dell would hopefully notice our problems and act on them?

0 Kudos
shtraue
Bronze

Jump to solution

All Vostro 3350 owners!

Please join IdeaStorm and promote the idea linked below and add your comments if you can:

www.ideastorm.com/ideaView

Jump to solution

Here in Brazil the Vostro 3450 has the same problem. The switchable graphics funcionaem not all applications. You will need a BIOS update to be able to choose which video to use. DELL question is when will pay attention to the problem.

Vostro 3450 / Intel and ATI HD3000 6630M

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I wanted to step in and post that engineering is aware of the problem. I don't have any specific dates but engineering I believe is working on a BIOS update that may help with problems running Open GL programs.  Once I find out anything more I will post here.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bobterri6
Copper

Jump to solution

Will this apply to my Inspiron N5110?  Please?  

0 Kudos