Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 03:00

Vostro A840 choppy sound after upgrading to windows 7

Hi,

I recently bought a vostro a840..did a clean installation of windows 7. Since the separate drivers for windows 7 arnt out yet..i installed the Vista drivers that came with the cd. Everythings working fine other than the sound from the laptop that is really choppy with a lot of breaks. Tried everything in vain including the WIFI and dell diagnostics. In no state of playing music or even watching a movie. The sounds ok when using a headphone...its the internal speakers.

Audio driver -conexant hd audio 221.

Chipset - Intel 965

Processor - intel core2duo @ 1.63GHZ

Ram - 3gb

Os- windows 7

Any help's gona be much much APPRECIATED!!

thanks

4 Posts

January 17th, 2011 12:00

No one?!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 17th, 2011 17:00

Sorry I did not reply because I do not know the answer-- I can't think of a cause to have noise in the speakers but not headphones -- and because I didn't understand some of your post.

Tried everything in vain including the WIFI and dell diagnostics.

I don't understand what you mean by trying the WIFI, and you didn't give the results of the tests. Presumably you did them with headphones and again without, but with what result?

The only thing I can think of is to install the generic driver as explained in section 6 of The Audio Driver FAQ. If you get the same result with it installed then you might have a hardware problem.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2011 05:00

Hey thans for replying jim. By the wifi i meant that in some forums i came across users who stated their wifi devices were interfering with their sound from the laptop. so what i tried was changing the band..(a.b.g)..even the drivers..but to no avail. Even tried different drivers for the sound card (conexant smart audio 221) Done everything including the use of the generic windows 7 sound driver...no change in the choppy sound..

The funny thing is the sound is normal while using headphones. 

In a fix..any ideas?

Thanks

Saq

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 18th, 2011 06:00

The fact it does not happen through the headphones and that changing drivers does not fix it suggests that there is something wrong with the speakers that Dell should repair under warranty.

i came across users who stated their wifi devices were interfering with their sound from the laptop. so what i tried was changing the band..(a.b.g)..even the drivers.

The test for the wireless is to turn if off completely to see whether or not the noise ceases. However  if it was the wireless you would hear the noise through the headphones as well as the speakers.

934 Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

Hi saquib45

I might have been the one  who suggested you to disable the wireless adapter .But as far as I remember you complained about noise in  your headphones AND the speakers.

The fact that the sound from your headphones is fine and the noise  occurs only  through your speakers means that something might be wrong either with the amplifier or the speakers themselves as "Jimco" rightly pointed out.Usually the speakers share the same  amplifier output with the headphones(when you plug in the headphone a mechanical switch disconnects the speakers) - so it's highly likely the speaker system.I once had a problem with integrated speakers on an external TFT-panel.When I opened the  panel to check the amplifier I was surprised that the output signal was absolutely fine.So I removed the speakers and when I did so I found  a loose screw(!) caught between the membrane of the speaker and the panel....the bouncing srew caused  the crackling noise....you see there are a lot of options that can create problems.

Use the speaker balance option in your software (if available ) to find out if only one speaker causes the problem.

But I guess you will have to contact Dell

4 Posts

January 18th, 2011 22:00

Yeah most probably theres a problem with the speaker system itself...while the sound through the  headphones are absolutely fine. Tried switiching off the wireless but to no avail...

Guess ill have to give it back  to dell..( and pray it's a loose screw! lol)

Thanks a lot for helping out guys

saq

No Events found!