Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2018 18:00

Want To replace My Nic Card PCI Half Mini

I Presently Have A Dell Latitude E6520 Which Is Using A Dell DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card Network Adapter PCI And My Network Connection Is very Slow. I Have A Friend Who Said He Would Replace The Nic card With A New one If We could Find A Better Card With Bluetooth Built In And Under $25:00 Preferably A Intel card. Dose My Laptop Support Such A Card, And If So Where Can we buy one?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 21:00

The best overall WiFi card that was created in the Half Mini-Card form factor before everything switched to M.2/NGFF was the Intel 7260 -- but the 7260 was made in BOTH Half Mini-Card and M.2 variants, so make sure you buy the correct type.  You want the one that has "HMW" in the model name, NOT the one that has "NGW".  And yes, it does include Bluetooth, only costs $25-30, and will be a significant improvement over your current WiFi card.  If you're based in the US, you can find Intel 7260HMW cards from places like Amazon, Newegg, eBay, etc.

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 22:00

Got One More Question, Is This Card A PCI Or PCI-E From factor Because AIDA64 is claming mine is PCI Not PCI-E

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

The E6520 definitely uses Mini-PCIe, and you can even check the specs online for your current wireless card to verify.  Mini PCI (non-E) was last used I think on systems like the D620 series, which is 4 generations older than your E6520.

8 Posts

One Question... IS This A PCI OR PCI-E card Aida544 says mine is PCI Not PCI-e

8 Posts

Thanks For That Information, It was more helpful than expected.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 23:00

If you want another verification (short of opening your system and physically checking your card), grab HWInfo64 instead and expand the Bus category until you find your network adapter.  On my system, the WiFi adapter is found underneath a device called "PCI Express x1 Bus #2".  However, note that even that isn't 100% reliable because protocols (like PCI/PCIe) and physical slots (like PCIe Mini-Card) are two different entities.  For example, my WiFi+Bluetooth card is an Intel 8265, but it's actually in an M.2 slot, and M.2 supports both PCIe and USB -- so the fact that my WiFi adapter appears under "PCI Express x1 Bus 2" doesn't tell me what kind of slot it uses.  Making things even more interesting, the Bluetooth portion of the Intel 8265 uses the USB portion of M.2, so although my WiFi adapter appears under that PCIe bus, the Bluetooth device appears under a USB controller, even though there's only a single M.2 card in my system.

Protocols and physical connectors do not always align, and even when only looking at protocols, not all applications even distinguish between PCI and PCIe anyway (especially since PCI is practically non-existent these days anyway), so while applications like these have their purposes, they're not a substitute for physical inspection.  But again, your system is far too new for Mini-PCI (non-E) and not new enough for M.2, so the Intel 7260HMW is what you want.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 09:00

Thanks For The Clarification, That Will make It A Lot Simpler To get The right Nic Card Now.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 09:00

I Do have One Final Question And Not Sure If You can Help With The Answer. I Duel Boot On This machine (Windows 10 LTBS And Run Linux Gentoo) Will this Nic card Work With Linux Or Do I Have To go Single Boot Option On This Laptop.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 10:00

Intel supports Linux releases.  You can find more information from their page here: www.intel.com/.../wireless-networking.html

No Events found!