Highlighted
Experting
Copper

Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Jump to solution

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 1514 yesterday and when i got it home the webcam was working on it fine and when i tried it again today it wont work and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
geek2shiek
Bronze

Re: Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Jump to solution

If your webcam drivers havent been updated in the device mananger under imaging devices, you can try what i just figured out. I just got a Inspiron 1545 and the only way i got it to work so far is to plug in a USB device ie. USB mouse. Make sure you have the webcam window open. When you plug in the usb device for some reason the camera starts working when the laptop detects the usb device. Took me forever online looking for an answer to this problem and i stumbled on it by accident trying to get the camera working. 

I HATE U DELL FOR NOT FIXING THIS PROBLEM. SEEMS LIKE LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVING THIS ISSUE. I'M GUESS SOMETHING WITH INTERNAL USB HUB

Kev200
Copper

Jump to solution

[DELL Inspriron 1545 Notebook - Purchased around Aug. 6th]

Thanks.....That worked !  

I Plugged in a USB Mouse

(What's the Deal with that?)

Also.......

I noticed that in the same session....if I closed the WebCam app...unplugged the mouse....and started it back.......the same thing would occur (it could not find the WebCam).

However...

- I plugged the USB Mouse back in

- The webcam started working again

- I turned the computer off (completely...SHUT DOWN)

- Unplugged the USB Mouse

- Restarted

-The Webcam app now would work without the USB mouse.

HTH

and...hope this is fixed with next update....it's gotta be driving some folks crazy

0 Kudos
raybecky1
Copper

Jump to solution

Hah! exactly the same problem! Thankyou for solving it with plugging in the usb mouse. It worked! Stupid Stupid Stupid Dell laptop.

0 Kudos
esmiperro
Copper

Jump to solution

hi geek had the same problem with my 1545  even tho webcam worked fine some time ago. tried as you suggested with a usb memory stick and it worked fine. removed the usb stick while the camera was on switched off webcam and then on again and it now works fine.  thanks for the advice COME ON DELL  WHAT'S GOING ON?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you whoever posted about the USB trick. I'm having the same problem. Get on it already Dell. I have had the laptop for six months and still no fix for it. Your brand is suffering while attached to the "DELL WEBCAM" that disconnects itself whenever it wants and frustrates users.

0 Kudos
emfloyd
Copper

Jump to solution

I have a 1537 and this trick does not work for me.

animek842
Copper

Jump to solution

I can't even find imaging devices when i go to my device manager. and i tried plugging an accepted usb but my webcam still won't work

0 Kudos
Pedrochin
Silver

Jump to solution

Try booting to safe mode and then see if the cam is listed under Device Manager under Imaging Devices...then restart in normal mode.  This worked for me when the cam was "lost"....the cam was "found" in safe mode!

Dell XPS L701X

ghaloush
Copper

Jump to solution

hi 

i tried ur way

i opened the dell webcam

then plugged in a usb

and nothing happened

it just keeps saying please plug in a supported device

it was working fine and then it stopped working, while i was using it it stopped working

do u suggest anything else i could do??

plz help

thnx

0 Kudos