Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2016 16:00

What's the highest resolution Dell laptop that can run Windows 7?

What is the best quality Dell laptop that will still run Windows 7, but has the most crisp, Retina-type display?    The small 13 inch XPS have a matte finish, are there any with an Ultra HD screen that I can still run windows 7 on? 

Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.  I have one specific work thing I spend a LOT of time on, and it only runs on Windows 7 or older, otherwise I'd get a newer laptop, mac, or anything else.  But since Dell is my favorite, and I've seen the UHD displays, I'm hoping there's a version going back a little that might still run Windows 7.    Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2016 05:00

The current generation Skylake systems are the last that will run Windows 7, albeit with some extra steps for installation (you'll need to prepare a custom install set of Windows 7 including the Intel USB 3.0 drivers for them).  You will also lose some other hardware support, since Windows 7 doesn't support all the energy management features of the Skylake platform.

The 2015 version (XPS 9343) used the Broadwell chip, which is more Windows 7 friendly.

Whatever your reasons for hanging on to Windows 7, note that its days are numbered - the soon to be released Kaby Lake platform (due out this Fall) has no support for anything older than Windows 10 -- it's time to consider moving forward, as you'll soon have to choose between a used system with 7 and a new one with Windows 10.

August 26th, 2016 22:00

OMG!   This was  JUST the kind of knowlegable type person I was hoping would reply...THANK YOU!    I looked up the XPS 9343 computer, and I saw those, but they had more of a matte finish, unlike my Macbook Pro.   

The computer I had for a little while was something like this:

2015 DELL INSPIRON 15 7548 i7-5500U 16GB 4K UHD 3840x2160 TOUCH 1TB

That's just the title to an 3bay listing, I had something like that and LOVED the screen, but was told I couldn't put Windows 7 on it and so then sold it.   Do you know of any Windows 7 friendly laptops that would have a Macbook Pro-like screen, in 15 inch or larger?  Something like the unit I posted above?

Thank you so much in advance for your time... I've wondered, searched, and asked on a few forums for a couple of years now, I finally got a reply from someone who knows their stuff.  Thanks!

No Events found!