Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2009 17:00

Where can I find the ATI driver which allows the screen to rotate on the Latitude XT ?

Hi, 

I have the Dell Latitude XT and it shipped with XP installed.  The screen rotate button does not work.  I see many people have this problem but I have not found a reference to where the correct driver can be downloaded.  I believe I need v8.432 but ATI does not have anything later than 8.451 from what I can tell. 

41 Posts

May 30th, 2009 19:00

Here's a link to the v8.432 driver: http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39522960s,00.htm

Not sure if it fixes the problem yet. 

This system was shiped with 8.551.0.0 on it.  

41 Posts

May 30th, 2009 20:00

This did not work.  Now I receive an error stating that "The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter.  Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager."  When I check the driver under device manager > display adapters > ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 > Driver the version is still 8.551.0.0. 

To install the new driver I tried to go to the same tab which shows the version number of the display adapter driver (mentioned above) and selected (uninstall).  After that I selected "no" when asked to reboot, ran the .exe from the above link and installed the ATI driver.  

41 Posts

May 30th, 2009 21:00

One hour on the phone with Dell support.  The support rep did a great job fixing the problem but now a new one has cropped up.  When the screen is rotated into any mode other than the normal one the system runs much slower.  

Anyhow, the problem was fixed by installing the latest video drive on Dell's site (which I believe was the one I started with) which put the new Catalyst Control Center back on.  We also flashed the BIOS to v8 and installed the latest System Softwrare and Quickset. 

No Events found!