Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2012 07:00

Where can I find the Windows 8 license key?

My previous Dell laptop had the Windows 7 license key on the bottom, but I can't find it anywhere on my new Inspiron running Windows 8. It's not in the battery compartment either. Where do I find it?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 1st, 2012 10:00

Important--you cannot do a clean reinstall from the dvd. The dvd is an upgrade version and it will install but not activate since the original OS is no longer on the drive. You would need to reinstall the original OS and upgrade again. Don't do it.

Clean installs are done from within win 8. Win 8 has 2 methods of reinstallation--Refresh and Remove everything and reinstall. As long as it is the same hard drive you should use that IF a clean install is really necessary, which is rare. Clean manual installs are no longer used on windows 8. They are unnecessary on windows 8 computers.

3 Posts

I have a Windows 8 ISO on DVD. If I reinstall using that will I not need a license key since it's already set in the UEFI?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

There is no Windows 8 COA see here.

3 Posts

Thanks Philip. I want to re-install Windows 8 on the laptop. So how can I do that if I can't get the license key?

Thanks.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2012 00:00

Well suppose you want to downgrade to Windows 7 with the intention of going back to Windows 8 at a later time when the OS matures a bit -- as you've presumably already paid for the license of Windows 8 with your computer purchase that shouldn't be a problem? Yet, based on what you're saying it would seem that it is a problem, correct?  You appear to be saying you're stuck with 8, like it or not.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the difficulties involved if the scenario you state above should fail and you have no choice but to do a completely fresh OS install, a difficulty I vaguely recall running into now and then with MS products.  Why am I quickly thinking this new Dell is going to be returned quickly????

No Events found!