Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 11:00

Why won't my laptop recognize my camera anymore when I plug it in to USB port?

My laptop recently stopped recognizing my digital camera when I plug it in to the USB port.  Nothing pops up on my screen and nothing shows up in My Computer.  I've tried all three of our cameras and two different camera cords and it's not working with any of them.  Is there an easy/obvious solution that I'm missing???  Thanks!

39 Posts

February 11th, 2010 12:00

Have you tried plugging the cameras in more than just the one USB port.  If so, did it work in another port.  From the sounds of it likely you did and none of the usb ports detect them...am I correct?

If so than I recommend attaching a different usb product such as a memorystick/flash drive/external hard drive to see if it can detect anything.

If none of the usb ports detect any devices then you can only do 4 things:

1. Boot to BIOS and make sure usb ports are enabled (if applicable on the model)

2. Reinstall the USB drivers

3. Update the computer BIOS

4. Reinstall operating system

1. Boot to BIOS and make sure usb ports are enabled (if applicable on the model)

Step 1: turn on computer and press whatever key it says on the dell screen to "Enter Setup" or it may be called "BIOS"

Look through the options for a reset to defaults option (under Maintenance I think) and accept that reset and do whatever the screen says to Save and Exit.

Test the ports.

Not resolved? Continue...

2. Reinstall the USB drivers

Step 2: In XP go to control panel and then select "Classic view" and then select "system" icon ->hardware tab->device manager

In Vista and windows 7, click start and then type in device manager in the white search field and press enter key

That will open Device Manager.  Now right click and select uninstall (or remove) all listings that show a "!" or "?" and accept that deletion.  If there are none like this than expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller section and uninstall/remove ALL Usb root hubs and then close everything and restart the computer. Let it load back up and wait about 1 minute for it to finish trying to install the missing drivers on its own. Now, go back to device manager and see if there are any "!" or"?" if not then try the usb port again and it should work.  It is very rare for ALL usb ports to fail.

("!" means there is a conflict or a problem with the driver. "?" means there is no driver installed for that particular part) <----FYI

If not resolved, conitinue...

3. Update the computer BIOS

Step 3: If no usb ports work than go to Dells site and up date your BIOS.  I would provide the link if you provided the model or service tag number. You will need to look that up.  Make sure if you find one that you select the correct operating system or it wont work.

NOTE: DO NOT EVER UNPLUG OR TURN OFF THE COMPUTER WHILE UPDATING THE BIOS.  UPDATING YOUR BIOS IS AN "AT YOUR OWN RISK" STEP.  IF THIS IS A LAPTOP, PLUG THE ADAPTER IN THE WALL TO ENSURE THE COMPUTER STAYS ON. 

If not resolved, conitinue...

4. Reinstall operating system

As a very last resort as an "attempt" to fix this issue is to reinstall windows.  This will format the entire hard drive and reset the computer to exactly how it was when purchased. Yes you data, music, pics, videos and added programs will be erased and only recoverable by reinstalling them.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 18:00

Thank you so much!  I just tried a memory stick and it worked just fine so I haven't tried any of the 4 steps yet.  Am I missing something obvious with my camera and camera cord?  I plug it in and turn the camera on and a screen normally pops up asking me what I want to do next (import pics, etc.) but that's not happening.  So I open Computer to access it that way and it's not showing up in there.  Anything else I can try or should I try the 4 steps suggested?  Thank you!

No Events found!